Multiple Domains

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Xsane, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Maybe I'm the only one, but it'd be great if you could manage multiple domains from one account. Currently, I manage three domains and having to log in and log out to modify each one can by timely. Plus I plan on adding another 2 - 3 more domains within the next few months. And being the only webdesigner (well, the only decent one[:)]) in my area - I'm sure I'll be having quite a few more in no time also.

Other than that one suggestion, I've loved my service and will continue to do all my business through Discount ASP and reccomend them to anyone else interested in ASP hosting.

2. Takeshi Eto

Takeshi Eto DiscountASP.NET Staff

We will pass your suggestion along to our Product Manager.

3. Thanks - like I said, it's no biggy, but just something that saves me time.

4. cjm

cjm

My problem is that I already have 2 sites hosted here at a cost of £240 per annum yet I'm not using a fraction of the resources available. Bandwidth is < 1Gb per mo, and diskspace using is < 10Mb (this is the two sites combined!)

So I have 15Gb bandwidth being wasted, and 690Mb of webspace...!

I'd like to create more sites, but at $120 each it's just not worth it...

5. You know, you could host all of the sites in one place just by doing a redirect. Have www.site1.com and www.site2.com point to the same domain and then when the request comes in, redirect to a sub-directory. If you wanted to get painfully clever, you could create and HttpHandler to do URL Rewiting and the user would never know.

quote:Originally posted by cjm

My problem is that I already have 2 sites hosted here at a cost of £240 per annum yet I'm not using a fraction of the resources available. Bandwidth is < 1Gb per mo, and diskspace using is < 10Mb (this is the two sites combined!)

So I have 15Gb bandwidth being wasted, and 690Mb of webspace...!

I'd like to create more sites, but at $120 each it's just not worth it...
    </blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

6. quote:Originally posted by pjoyce

You know, you could host all of the sites in one place just by doing a redirect. Have www.site1.com and www.site2.com point to the same domain and then when the request comes in, redirect to a sub-directory. If you wanted to get painfully clever, you could create and HttpHandler to do URL Rewiting and the user would never know.

I run several small websites off of one DASP account in the same configuration as above. What do you mean by HttpHandler to do URL rewriting? I would love to make it look more seamless to my users.

7. quote:Originally posted by homeacademy

quote:Originally posted by pjoyce

You know, you could host all of the sites in one place just by doing a redirect. Have www.site1.com and www.site2.com point to the same domain and then when the request comes in, redirect to a sub-directory. If you wanted to get painfully clever, you could create and HttpHandler to do URL Rewiting and the user would never know.

I run several small websites off of one DASP account in the same configuration as above. What do you mean by HttpHandler to do URL rewriting? I would love to make it look more seamless to my users.

Check this out, it's pretty cool, though the URL for the article is ironic. :)

msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/urlrewriting.asp

8. [8D] -- Thanks! Next time I have a few mins, I'll implement! [:)]

9. I have 2 domain names that point to the same account because I can't afford to do more than that right now. The secondary site is in a subfolder.

But, I do not like the fact that when someone goes to my secondary site, the domain is to the original. So, the URL's are like this: mainsite.us/secondarysite/html

I would like for it to be secondarysite.us with no URL reference to the main site. I know someone whose websites are hosted on the same account and the URL appears independent.

Is there a way I can do that? BTW, I haven't read the article above. I'll try to do soon.

Thanks,

Regina G

10. Hi,

The way I do it is I use domain masking and forwarding, available at no extra charge from my domain name provider. Just ask yours about 'domain name masking' and 'forwarding'.

Dilton

11. Thanks, Dilton. I'll check on that. [​IMG]

Regina G