Multiple e-mails dropped.

Discussion in 'Email' started by Josep, Feb 22, 2013.

1. No failure messages

I have successfully setup an e-mail account. I can send and recieve from it and I have a working Smtp mail client application using System.Net.Mail.

If I login to the e-mail account and send an email to a valid ISP with an invalid address (ex. [email protected]) I get back from the ISP a Delivery Failure notice.

If I send an email to the same address through the System.Net.Mail I never receive the Delivery Failure message back from the ISP. Again I can send messges out using System.Net.Mail so I know that it is otherwise working.

Being able to receive Delivery Failure notices is obviously not optional.

Why are the Delivery Failures notices not received or placed in the e-mail account Inbox.

Thank you,

Joe

2. I found if I send an individual e-mail I do receive the Failure Notice. The problem arises if I send several e-mails in the same MVC4 Action Result in my E-mail Service. So the question now is why does DASP e-mail drop multiple e-mails? Will post new question.

3. I have built a working E-mail Service in my MVC4 app using a discount ASP (DASP) e-mail account. If I send one e-mail at a time it works fine. If I send several e-mails at once (as in the ActionResult code below) some of them don't get processsed.

email.To = "[email protected]"; emailService.Send(email);

I tried putting up to a 30 second delay between .Sends, it helped but was still not reliable. Why would the DASP E-mail server drop e-mails? Doesn't it have a job queue. What can I do to correct this problem? I have to be able to send out more than one e-mail at a time within a session and will have multiple users on the web app sending e-mails at the same time.

Thank you,

Joe

4. Further testing

I've done further testing. Up to 2 sequential e-mails it works, anything over 2 it drops the first one. If I change the code to send the first one twice it then goes out twice and successfully sends the others. Very strange.

I also tried the same setup using a gmail account to service the e-mail sends and it works perfectly no matter how many e-mails I send. So there is no problem wih my code. This strongly points to Smartermail as the source of the problem.

Hello discountASP would you please look into this problem and respond.

Thank you,

Joe

5. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

6. Yes

Sure, perhaps I was mistaken thinking that they didn't support E-mail issues but that I had to go through the forum.

7. RayH

RayH DiscountASP.NET Lackey DiscountASP.NET Staff

Hard to tell what's going on, but it might be your SMTP settings.

8. Figured out

Both SmarterMail and my e-mail service are working. There actually is no problem.

I finally narrowed it down to just messages to my @gmail.com e-mail account were not going through. I then narrowed that down to sometimes they would depending on what the Subject or (Title) was set to. I then discovered that the gmail account (thanks DASP support for the tip) was putting a lot of the messages into the spam folder, which was collapsed so I didn't see it. Gmail’s spam filter apparently gives a lot of weight to the subject line and is very inconsistent. Once I marked one of the messages from my SmarterMail account as not Spam the e-mails now go directly to the Inbox.

9. mjp

mjp

They catch everything!

Glad you worked it out, in any event.