Need help on website design & configuration

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by wisemx, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Hi,
    I am a newbie. Recently starteddeveloping a site for my own firm. Need your suggestions on the design.

Here is my requirement. I have a website, which for the external customers. Registered users have access to various services on the site. We have an application for our internal operators who deal with a sepcific location. So to segregate application with the existing customer site, I have created a subdomain(domain alias). Both these sites have access to the same Database, and reside in the same hosting account. Except that, outsite it might look as if there were two sites.

something like
    www.mydomain.com
    www.app.mydomain.com

Need your inputs on the following items.

1) By keeping same database for both external and internal customers will pose any risk or impacts?

Note: Only dependency here is that, issues registered by external customers should be visible to our internal customers.

2) Would it be good idea to host the application in a separate account and use domain forwarding ? ( note: application site is only for registered internal users only. security is also main concern here )

I don't have much experience with the site design. Please do suggest if there is any better way of solving the problem.

Thank you
    pmalka

2. Hi,
    There are many ways you can handle this.
    If your site is on IIS7 here you can use the new URL Rewrite feature and mask unlimited parts of the site.

What I would suggest however is to go with a CMS system like SiteFinity.
    Look in the Marketplace area of your Control Panel.
    With a full CMS package like that you'll be ahead of the game and won't be pulling your hair out.
    Salute,
    Mark

3. wisemx,

Thanks for the input. My basic question was about the back end design. What are the best practices to follow if you have a requirement where you have one as an application and other as a website. I am planning to host them on shared hosting.

Please do let me know your thoughts

Thanks,