Need help with config.web file

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by prairieflow, Dec 24, 2010.

1. When I upload my report to the report server I get a message "redirect URL does not point to the report manager server". Does this mean that I have an entry missing in my web.config file? I can display the report OK when I am logged into the report server but when I try to view the report from my application, the report viewer does not display the report.

Does anyone have a sample of a simple, straight forward web.config file that they have successfully used to display reports from an application as I am attempting to do?

Also, is there some way that I can eliminate the requirement to enter the user name and password everytime that I want to display a report?

Thanks,

Bette

2. ...For Visual Studio reports on IIS7?
    If that is what you need I'll post a working web.config for you.
    All the best,
    Mark

3. Mark,

That would be a tremendous help. Thanks.

Bette

4. ...This shows how to do it for IIS7 plus it has the new settings for HTML5 if you're testing, but if not those settings don't hurt anything.

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <configuration>
      <configSections>
    	<sectionGroup name="applicationSettings" type="System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsGroup, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089">
    	</sectionGroup>
      </configSections>
      <system.net>
    	<mailSettings>
    	  <smtp deliveryMethod="Network">
    		<network host="localhost" port="25" />
    	  </smtp>
    	</mailSettings>
      </system.net>
      <appSettings />
    <connectionStrings>
      <clear />
    </connectionStrings>    
      <system.web>
    	  <httpHandlers>
    	  <add path="Reserved.ReportViewerWebControl.axd" verb="*" type="Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.HttpHandler, Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
      validate="false" />
    	</httpHandlers>
    	  <buildProviders>
    		<add extension=".rdlc" type="Microsoft.Reporting.RdlBuildProvider, Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />
    	  </buildProviders>
    	</compilation>
    	<pages controlRenderingCompatibilityVersion="4.0" clientIDMode="AutoID" />
      </system.web>
      <system.webServer>
    	  <staticContent>
    		  <mimeMap fileExtension=".mp4" mimeType="video/mp4" />
    		  <mimeMap fileExtension=".m4v" mimeType="video/m4v" />
    		  <mimeMap fileExtension=".ogg" mimeType="video/ogg" />
    		  <mimeMap fileExtension=".ogv" mimeType="video/ogg" />
    		  <mimeMap fileExtension=".webm" mimeType="video/webm" />

<mimeMap fileExtension=".oga" mimeType="audio/ogg" />
    		  <mimeMap fileExtension=".spx" mimeType="audio/ogg" />

<mimeMap fileExtension=".svg" mimeType="images/svg+xml" />
    		  <mimeMap fileExtension=".svgz" mimeType="images/svg+xml" />

<remove fileExtension=".eot" />
    		  <mimeMap fileExtension=".eot" mimeType="application/vnd.ms-fontobject" />
    		  <mimeMap fileExtension=".otf" mimeType="font/otf" />
    		  <mimeMap fileExtension=".woff" mimeType="font/x-woff" />
    	  </staticContent>    
    	  <handlers>
    		  <add name="ReportViewerWebControlHandler" verb="*" path="Reserved.ReportViewerWebControl.axd" preCondition="integratedMode" type="Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.HttpHandler, Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />
    	</handlers>
    	<security>
    	  <authentication>
    		<basicAuthentication enabled="true" />
    	  </authentication>
    	</security>
    	<validation validateIntegratedModeConfiguration="false" />
      </system.webServer>
    </configuration>

5. Thank you.

Bette

6. Trying to get a better understanding of my problem

It has occured to me that I have not really given you a very complete explaination of my problem. So I am including an attachment that is an attempted to give a more complete picture - includes what I am trying to achive as well as what I have been able to do - what seems to be working and what is not working.

Thank you for your patients.

Bette

Attached Files:

7. ...I read your text.

Serving VS reports on your site does not require the Report Server.
    but...You can do what you want but yes RS reports have more features.

That seems like a contradiction but there are two distinct worlds in VS reports.

The web.config settings I posted are for VS ReportViewer reports, not SQL Server RS Reports, and as you noted not for report credentials.

I think it will be best if I post a list of links to help topics for you.
    Do you thing that will help?

Merry Christmas :)

8. I really do appreciate your support and yes, please post whatever links that you think might be helpful.

Bette

9. ...Will do. I'll round them up and try to post some by tomorrow. ;-)

10. I live in northern Calfifornia and we have had a real rainy Christmas. Better rain than snow - I used to live in Iowa.

Thanks for you support. I really do appreciate it.

Bette

11. I have a specific question. I am running my application using Report Viewer. My report file contains the connection information for my database which is on the discountasp.net SQL server. Whenever I click on the view report button to run the report, I always get the message to enter the login user and password for the datasource. Obviously I do not want to give my users this information. What do I need to do so that they do not have to enter this information. Is there some code that I should be including in either my report file or my web.config file that provides this information at run-time?

12. ...The report files that reside on the server are just xml files using Report definitions.
    You do need to be careful when sharing them.
    To see what's in there just open one in a text editor, the free version of EditPad is good for this, any text editor will work.

I can help with this but need to ask, is this a report that is on the server AND is using SQL Server RS, or is this a report on the server that only uses SQL Server and DOES NOT need RS?

As for the snow, my wife is from Brazil, imagine how she's taking this. ;-)

13. I am not sure how to answer your question. Maybe if I tell you a little more about the type of reports that I am creating it might help answer the question. I do not need to do anything comlicated with these reports - my this I mean that there is no requirement for complex distribution of the reports and I am the only person who will be creating the reports.

There needs to be only one way for my users to access/print the report and that is from a page on the website that lists all of the reports. They should just be able to open the report and then print the report just my clicking a button next to the report. In some cases they need to select a parameter for a variable defined in the SQL query prior to the actual display of the report.

This is my first attempt to add reports to my website and I never dreamed that it could be so complicated. I thought that all I would have to do is simply develop the report definition using Microsoft Visual Studio and then access the report from the Report Viewer contained in a aspx web page.

If you think that there is a better way for me to create these reports, please let me know.

Again, thank you for you help. If you think that it would help to discuss my problem on the phone, please let me know what time would be convient for you.

14. I was able to create a report using VB report builder and it ran ok on my computer. I upload the rdlc file and the aspx file to the SQL server. When try to run the report, the "report viewer" page is displayed and the word "done" is displayed at the bottom of the window but there is no "view report" button. If I press the enter key on the keyboard of my computer, the message "error in page" is displayed at the bottom of the window. This "error in page" is the same message that I get if I am trying to run a report via the report server.

By the way, stories of your big snow storm is all over the TV and newspapers. It looks really awful. I can remember bad storms when I lived in Iowa but it looks like your storm is much worse than anything that I can remember.

thanks again for your help.

Bette

15. When I am trying to user the report server and I upload a report file (rdl) file to the report server using the report server manager, I get the message "the redirect url does not point to the Report Manager Server". I am assuming that this is an indication that I am missing an important statement from my web.comfig file. Do you have any idea as to the format of such a statement?

Bette

16. ...Two things, some of the btns only show in IE.
    Currently Firefox and Google Chrome both fail with on-line ReportViewer reports.
    The other error, could be the folder name.
    If for example on your local system the report was in a folder named "reports", try using that same folder name on-line, I've seen errors with that before.

I'm still going to help the best I can so don't worry about posting.
    It's taking me longer right now to respond because I'm freezing! ;-)

17. I hope you weather gets better soon. I just hate cold weather - especially if there is snow and wind.

I currently am using Internet Explorer.

I am confident that sooner or later we will get this problem solved.

Bette