New directory and new application won't run.

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by codeWhitler, Jul 22, 2010.

1. I have, at earthmodal.net, a front page project with eight subdirectory projects started. Recently I decided to add another project in a new directory, and set it up in Visual Studio 2008 as I had done so before. But when I published the stub (preliminary) to discount as I had done with the previous subdirectories and tested it, the site gave back the message that is usually gives when you forget to make the directory an aplication in application admin.

I should note here that prior to this I had setup Microsft's Chart Controls Web Samples to run on the site and it ran successfully. When the new subdirectory after this failed to start I started to wonder if somwhow I had exceeded a limit. The Chart bin dir. contained like about 180 dll's and was about 5 megabytes.

so I thought maybe I had exeeded the allowed number of dll's in the application pool. So I went back and removed the Chart application form the applications and recycled the app pool. then I went to the new directory and set app off and on again and again recycled.

then I tried the same new app in an old subdirectory that was already working. This time it worked!! hurrah. So after a few more attempts i started a fresh new app without any anything it except the default page which said "you are here in new subdirectory". It failed. It seems that the new directory will not accept a new application.

I am willing to take out the Chart demo subdirectory but can scarcely do without my several project subdirectories.

Any thoughts?

Sincerely,
    codeWhitler

2. Since this post I have migrated from IIS 6 to IIS 7 and SQL Server 2008. The problem has vanished, but I will still like to hear thoughts on the dll counts.

I started up the IIS 7 manager for discount and went though that looking for errors. That help remove some of the opacity of the problems. I am still looking for a way to get the completed asp.net error feedback (for my won eyes only).

CodeWhitler