New Version of SmarterStats

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by jdcrutchley, Mar 2, 2009.

1. <sarcasm>Thank you SO VERY MUCH for upgrading SmarterStats without so much as a warning. I REALLY, REALLY like explaining to my client after the fact why their charts and tables suddenly look different.</sarcasm>

Seriously guys, when you upgrade software we're using, could you let us know first? I understand you're going to do it anyway and we can't stop you, but it would be nice to have a little advance notice so we can cushion the blow for our own customers. I realize that it's just a change to the visual appearance and that all of the same data is there, but the first thing a non-technical business weenie says is "OMG WHAT HAPPENED TO MY CHARTS!!!" It's just a whole lot easier to make them happy about it if I have a little lead time, you know?

If there was a notification, please let me know where you put those sorts of things, because I sure couldn't find it.

Thanks.

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

huh!

We emailed all customers 1 wk before we perform the upgrade. Did you not get the email?

3. Yes, there was an e-mail, but it didn't say what upgrades were being performed. Most of the time that just means OS patches or other things that don't actually change anything that we'd see.

4. mjp

mjp

We always say what the update is for. The last one that went out was for O/S updates so that's what it said. The notice sent on 1/21 did specifically mention SmarterStats, however. But I see what you mean, as it said "scheduled maintenance." That was somewhat misleading.

I do get your point that you may have reasonably assumed the latest was simply an O/S update, so in the future we will be more specific whenever we can. Though in a case like this, being more specific would not have included anything about display changes, etc. Though I agree that we could have been more clear that the update was to the software and not the server.

5. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

I don't think you got that notice for some reason. I dug up the email from my email and it clearly stated what the upgrade is about.

Original email content (sent 1/29/2009)

"Dear Customer,

This email is to inform you that we will be performing upgrade on the Smarter Stats servers. The maintenance is scheduled for:

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Upgrades will take place throughout the day, unfortunately we cannot provide a specific time frame. During the time of the upgrade, Smarter Stats servers will be offline for approximately 2 - 3 hours. You will not lose any statistical data, but you will be unable to view stats while the upgrade is in process.

We will be upgrading SmarterStats software to version 4.0. This is a major version upgrade, you can review http://www.smartertools.com/SmarterStats/Features/Web-Log-Analytics-Website-Statistics.aspx for a list of new features.

For more information and updates on the outage, please see our "Outages and maintenance" forum; http://community.discountasp.net/default.aspx?f=31

If you have any questions or concerns, please direct them to our technical support department.

Thank you for your continued support,

The DiscountASP.NET Team
    "