newbie problem: updating web application causes MachineToApplication error

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by bcsmith, May 26, 2008.

1. I am a newbie at setting up websites.... I got my website setup and running a few weeks ago, now I am trying my first major update, which includes database change and major application changes.

I have uploaded the new database, and when I try to upload the new website I am getting the following:

Server Error in '/puse' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Configuration Error
    Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error:

I am using a sub-directory for my website called 'puse' .... and I have setup this in discountasp.net to be an application.....so what am I doing wrong....Trying this update has crashed my application and I now can't get anything to run......Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. I have found the problem. For some reason I don't understand some of my application got copied into an app_code subdirectory when I was uploading it.

Could someone explain to me why Visual Studios Express [Copy Website (using FTP)] keeps showing the remote website with different dates and delete status when I access it for the first time? The remote site (i.e. discountasp.net) shouldn't be changing or updating, yet it often shows up so.....

I also have no idea why the directories copied to a sub-directory????? any ideas what happened....I am very happy to get it running, but I would like to understand what caused the problem. Thanks to anyone who can provide an insight.

3. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

>Could someone explain to me why Visual Studios Express [Copy Website (using FTP)] keeps showing the remote website with different dates and delete status when I access it for the first time? The remote site (i.e. discountasp.net) shouldn't be changing or updating, yet it often shows up so.....

Yes. The different date / delete status is a confirmed bug.

>I also have no idea why the directories copied to a sub-directory????? any ideas what happened....I am very happy to get it running, but I would like to understand what caused the problem. Thanks to anyone who can provide an insight.

Most likely a configuration issue on your publish setting.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

4. Thanks for both of these insights.....I am now being very careful when I post my updates and the different directory problem has not occurred. So I think you are right.

The other problem is annoying, but I guess we all have to live with it. Thanks