Once the user clicks submit, I'd like to display a confirmation that the email has been sent.

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by aj31, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Hi there,

I have a feedback form on my contact.aspx page which includes: full name, email address, phone #, subject (a drop-down list with 3 options), and the comments fields. When the user enters data and clicks submit, it's currently sending me their email address and the comments only.

1) I would also like to receive their name, phone# and the subject. Here's my VBcode:
    Imports System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient

Partial Class contact
    Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

Protected Sub CustomValidator1_ServerValidate(ByVal source As Object, ByVal args As System.Web.UI.WebControls.ServerValidateEventArgs) Handles CustomValidator1.ServerValidate
    If txtComments.Text.Length > 5000 Then
    args.IsValid = False
    Else
    args.IsValid = True

End If
    End Sub

Protected Sub Wizard1_FinishButtonClick(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.WizardNavigationEventArgs) Handles Wizard1.FinishButtonClick
    SendMail(txtName.Text, txtEmail.Text, txtComments.Text)
    End Sub
    Private Sub SendMail(ByVal name As String, ByVal from As String, ByVal body As String)

Dim mailServerName As String = "smtp.MyDomain.com"
    Dim message As MailMessage = New MailMessage(from, "[email protected]", "feedback", body)
    Dim mailClient As SmtpClient = New SmtpClient

mailClient.Host = mailServerName
    mailClient.Send(message)
    message.Dispose()

End Sub

End Class

2) Once the user clicks submit, I'd like to display a confirmation that the email has been sent. How do I do this? Thanks in advance.AJ

Post Edited By Moderator (mjp [DASP]) : 11/2/2007 8:57:13 PM GMT

2. You need to include the name and phone # in the message body itself.
    So, the third parameter in your method SendMail(txtName.Text, txtEmail.Text, txtComments.Text</font>) needs ,the name and phone # appended to it.

For the confirmation part of it.You can have a js function in the such as follows:

validate()
    {
    var EmailStatus= document.getElementById('stat');
    alert(EmailStatus.value);
    if(StatusTable.value == '1')
    {
    Alert('Your Email has been sent')
    }
    }
    where stat is a hidden field on your form ,which you set it when the form is submitted successfully and have something like

or simply have a label and populate the text from code behind.

Vikram

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. Hi Vikram,

I really appreciate your help; unfortunately, you're helping a dud... At any rate, I've tried other things which are incorrect. To include the name, phone#, and subject in the email, I tried 2 things:

1)

Private Sub SendMail(ByVal name As String, ByVal phone As String, ByVal from As String, ByVal body As String)
    Dim feedbackinfo As String
    = name + phone + body
    Dim mailServerName As String =
    "smtp.MyDomain.com"
    Dim message As MailMessage = New MailMessage(from, "[email protected]", "feedback"
    , feedbackinfo)

and..................................

2) Private Sub SendMail(ByVal name As String, ByVal phone As String, ByVal from As String, ByVal subject As String,ByVal body As String)
    Dim mailServerName As String =
    "smtp.MyDomain.com"
    Dim message As MailMessage = New MailMessage(from, "[email protected]", "feedback"
    , name, phone, subject, body)

No luck whatsoever.

As for the confirmation msg, like I said, I'm a dud...a newbie if you will. I put the following between <asp:Content ID...> and <span style>:

<script type="text/javascript">
    validate()
    {
    var EmailStatus= document.getElementById("stat"
    );
    alert(EmailStatus.value);
    if(StatusTable.value == '1'
    )
    {
    Alert("Your Email has been sent"
    )
    }
    }
    where stat is a hidden field on your form ,which you set it when the form is submitted successfully and have something like
    </script>

But I'm not getting any luck with what I'm trying to accomplish. Where can I put this js? Thanks again.

AJ

4. See : http://kb.discountasp.net/article.aspx?id=10443

Replace body by Dim body As String = name + phone + body_part

To keep things simple,for the confirmation,have a label on your page .After the mail is sent,set the label text to what ever you want.

See: http://www.w3schools.com/aspnet/control_label.asp to know how to do that.

For the js part,I see you added the comment 'where stat is a hidden field on your form ... within the script tags. i guess it was my mistake in my previous post...Sorry about that.That was just a comment.

Vikram

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

5. Hi Vikram,

Once again I appreciate your patience with me...but I'm really starting to lose my hair over this. I already took care of the confirmation msg...thanks for that. But I'm still only getting the email address and comments in my email. Here's my VB script:

Imports System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient

Partial Class contact3
    Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

Protected Sub submitButton_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles submitButton.Click
    SendMail(txtName.Text, txtEmail.Text, txtPhone.Text, txtComments.Text)
    txtName.Text = ''
    txtEmail.Text = ''
    txtComments.Text = ''
    txtPhone.Text = ''
    txtSubject.Text = ''
    End Sub

Private Sub SendMail(ByVal name As String, ByVal phone As String, ByVal from As String, ByVal body As String)

Dim body As String = name + phone + body_part
    Dim mailServerName As String = 'smtp.MyDomain.com'
    Dim message As MailMessage = New MailMessage(from, '[email protected]', 'feedback', body)
    mailClient.Host = mailServerName
    mailClient.Send(message)
    message.Dispose()

End Sub

End Class
    </font>

I'm about to remove the drop-down menu for the subject to make things simpler, but this is what I'm getting:

Compiler Error Message: BC30734: 'body' is already declared as a parameter of this method.

Source Error:

Line 18: Private Sub SendMail(ByVal name As String, ByVal phone As String, ByVal from As String, ByVal body As String)
    Line 19:
    Line 20: Dim body As String = name + phone + body_part
    Line 21: Dim mailServerName As String = 'smtp.MyDomain.com'
    Line 22: Dim message As MailMessage = New MailMessage(from, '[email protected]', 'feedback', body)

</font>

Pls help Vikram. Thanks again.

6. Hi AJ,
    If you want an Ajax Contact form, with validation, like this: http://www.sdknuts.net/contact/
    Send me a note with a valid e-mail address and I'll send you my code.
    Salute,
    Mark