Only 1 server for email?

Discussion in 'Email' started by bruceb, Sep 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. Is DiscountASP using only 1 server for all the emails?

I've migrated to SmarterMail, and now all the email services (POP3, IMAP, SMTP, WebMail) are all pointing to the same IP!

Even the MX Record is pointing tosm04DOTinternetmailserverDOTnet(which is the same IP as the other services).

In the old system, even when the POP3 was slow/down, the IMAP was usually working.

I would expect that they would have seperate servers for the services, and to spread out the task between different machines.

Am I missing something, or had DiscountASP been drinking the SmarterMail kool-aid, and the are relying too much on that?

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

No. We have many smarter mail servers.

To avoid confusion, POP3/IMAP/SMTP service is handled by a single IP address.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. Thank you for clarifying that.

I didn't think of that reason (that you do it to simplify things). Thanks for that too. [​IMG]

4. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Yeah.. it was a pain when we had different address. People running their own DNS always mess up their A record.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.