Orcas CTP

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by matttay, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Hi, I have installed the CTP of Visual Web Developer (Orcas) and was wondering what pieces need to fall into place to use LINQ. I tried a quick app on my DASP account, and it complained about needing .net 3.5. When I set my desktop to 3.0 (which is installed on DASP, I think), the LINQ stuff I wanted wasn't available from the desktop.

My apologies if I'm screwing up the names and terminology. In short, I'm looking for a ballpark date (even a quarter) in which I could begin deploying a beta app using LINQ. Even a guess at this point would be fine, since I know MSFT has to first release pieces to DASP.

Thanks

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Can't really answer this because it depends on when MSFT launches LINQ & .NET 3.5 officially. We generally do not put beta software on our production server to ensure maximum stability.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. Now that beta2 has been released and the golive licenses are available, will DASP be offering some way for those using dlinq (part of asp.net 3.5) to host beta apps?

4. Takeshi Eto

Takeshi Eto DiscountASP.NET Staff

We are currently evaluating the latest releases. But note that we will not be installing any beta frameworks on the production servers. Please stay tuned.

Eric

http://www.DiscountASP.NET - Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
    - asp.netPRO Magazine 2007 Readers' Choice Award for Best ASP.NET Web Hosting Service
    - Visual Studio Magazine 2007 Readers' Choice Award for Best .NET Web Hosting Service

5. Does that mean you are you thinking of running a beta server for folks to try this stuff on, or does that mean if we want to turn-on a site with LINQ before RTM we should find another beta hoster for that? Do you have a rough time frame for when these decisions will be made? Weeks? Months?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

6. Takeshi Eto

Takeshi Eto DiscountASP.NET Staff

It will certainly be some beta hosting environment. I can't give you a time frame at this moment.

Eric

http://www.DiscountASP.NET - Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
    - asp.netPRO Magazine 2007 Readers' Choice Award for Best ASP.NET Web Hosting Service
    - Visual Studio Magazine 2007 Readers' Choice Award for Best .NET Web Hosting Service