Password proctect directories

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by dpatdiscountasp, Mar 10, 2006.

1. FYI, I've had good experience w/ below product on a server I ran. Don't know if you can make this econimical but it would be a nice addition to your suite of services.

It allows you to password protect IIs directories w/out a windows acct. and user info can be stored in a database.

http://media3.net/services/authentix/comp.htm

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

what they are doing is ISAPI password protection. we do not offer this because

1) ISAPI is dangerous

2) You can already do this with ASP.NET

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. >2) You can already do this with ASP.NET

If #2 is not dangerous can you point me to a good article on this?

4. I appreciate your taking the time to answer that question. I do know how to prompt a user to authenticate to a page.

But that does not protect other files in the directory such as a downloadable file. You can still get to that via a url directly to the file w/out going thru a page. On other types of web servers you would use htaccess files. Is there any equivalent here?

5. Bruce

6. From the Control Panel we change READ/WRITE permissions. Any chance we could get the ability to remove EXECUTE rights on particular folders ?

7. Bruce

8. Thanks Bruce for the prompt reply. Maybe you can suggest another avenue:

I have planned topermit users to upload files which appear later as hyperlinked resources. It occured to me that a nasty user mighttry to upload a script/aspx file and have it execute on the server. [​IMG]

Filtering what they upload is one answer. It occured to me that a more robust answer would be to allow read but not execute permission on the destination folder(s).

Any thoughts ?

9. Bruce

OK.. What you are looking for is IIS permission rather than NTFS permission.

We can manually switch off IIS exe permission on a folder you want. Please create a support ticket.

In addition, I recommend you restrict user from uploading certain file extension in your application regardless.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

10. Another option would be to store the files somewhere like '/App_Data/stuff/xxx' and create a 'GetFile.aspx?file=xxx' that would read from the stuff directory and write to the browser.

Joel Thoms
    DiscountASP.NET
    http://www.DiscountASP.NET

11. Thanks Bruce.