PDF file password encryption

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by minnug, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Adobe has outlined a web service to password encrypt a pdf file.
    http://livedocs.adobe.com/livecycle/es/sdkHelp/programmer/sdkHelp/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=sdkHelp&file=encryptionPassword.72.2.html
    Would it be appropriate to create the Web Service on within my current web application?
    I want to have a master pdf in order to change the password programmatically (on the fly)
    outputing a new file to another directory within my site.
    according to information submitted by customers e.g use cutomer name as password.

Can anybody else tell me of experienceof using this method ona web site?

Regards Steve

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

i don't quite understand exactly what you try to archieve.

do you simply want user to provide a password when they try to access your pdf file?

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. Hi Thanks for the prompt response,

I have a downloadable pdf on my web site. I would like to make the password username fo rthe file equal to the downloaders email address for copyright reasons. The Adobe routine uses a master copy pdf(not downloadable)with no encryption password as a master copy to create a new pdf file which is then encryted with the user password(creating a new saved downloadable file in a new folder).

Adobe has written code apparently for a web service to do this. The user provides their email address as part of a sales process. Having bought the pdf file their fileneeds to beencrypted with their email address.

Hope this is sufficient. I am wodering whether a web service on my current web site is the best way to do this.Or whether I should implement the code (see adobe link in previous email ) another way.

Best Wishes

Stevej