Permissions question

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by Chris N, May 6, 2007.

1. Newbie question:
    I am starting a web site and currently have the permissions on the root and all folders below it set to require a username and password to read it.

I want to share a folder to allow anonymous public access to view and download some files. However, I don't want the readers to have access to the other parts of the Web site.

Can I enable public access to one folder and restrict acces to other areaswithin my site?

Sorry if this is elementary.
    Thank you

Chris

2. Since the root has anonymous Deny permissions, you won't be able to Allow access in subdirectories.

Aristotle

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. Owkey, appologies if I'm not supposed to kick an old topic like this one to the top of the list but I've got a question that is similar to the question above... I think.

In my application, users have to be able to upload images form their home computer to the website. In order to achieve this I think I've got to alter the permissions for a certain directory (Upload) in my root map. Is this possible, or is there anyone with some tips regarding this issue. To be on the save side, I'm using 3.5 along with Linq.

Thanks, de Tukker