picking a username

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by asteinmetz, Oct 18, 2005.

1. I know I've seen this posted once before, but I really hate the username assigned to me - either the ability to pick the username or at least choose a username from a list of possibles that you generate would be great. I just signed up yesterday, and I must say I'm really disappointed that this horrible username was forced upon me.

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

adam,

the system is designed this way because

1) We need to avoid conflict between username

2) it can get really frustrating when you can't find the name you want (try get a Hotmail account w/ the name you wnat).

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. Takeshi Eto

Takeshi Eto DiscountASP.NET Staff

We will certainly take your suggestions/concerns under consideration. The product team will add this to their list of potential projects but it will need to be considered against all other projects, customer demand...etc.

DiscountASP.NET
    http://www.DiscountASP.NET

4. That's true, but with your system, your GAURANTEED to get a name you DON'T want. If you are concerned about frustrating people, how about a choice of three available names along with letting the user try to pick his own.

I think that internet users (especially those signing up for ASP.Net web hosting accounts) 'get' that some usernames will taken and won't throw there arms up in horror and walk away when they see that the username 'bob' is already taken (or isn't valid because it's too short or whatever)