Please critique my first site

Discussion in 'Site Design, SEO, Google and Site Promotion' started by Martinelly, May 4, 2004.

1. www.maplewoodchamber.com

This is my first site. I am sure it has a lot of newbie mistakes.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. hey it looks really great, esp. for your first site. One thing I might recommend, it has pretty much become standard that clicking on the banner will bring you back to the home page, so I'd consider using that instead of the maple leaf logo. Second, in a couple of areas (real estate was actually the only one I noticed) the menu goes away, which is a sure way to confuse users.

I like the "You are here home>community>Civic Groups" type stuff, but that needs to be consistent also. I realize you only do it when you are three levels deep, but I think it should be for everything where you are not on "home." That gives your users 4 different ways to get back to the home area -- they like that.

One really great thing you have done (haven't looked all over the site yet) is that everything is three or fewer clicks away from the home page. This is something I recently read and agree with -- No content should be more than 3 clicks from the homepage. It confuses and frightens the users.

Quick question: I assume that the pivot table in real estate is a 3rd party component -- it's great, could you give me the name of it? What is your data source?

Thanks.

3. Pjoyce,

Thanks for the recommendations. I agree with all of them.

The component in the Real Estate page is componentOne webgrid and I am using an XML file as a data source.That compononet is being bundled in an asp.net resource kit that Microsoft is giving away for free. The components you get there are a couple of version older than the current versions being sold but they are still pretty cool.

I have a couple of extra CDs that I have gotten in some events I have attended and, since you took the time to review and respond to my site, I would be happy to mail you one if you send me an address to [email protected]