Please give us the ability to choose a username at signup!

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by JerSchneid, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Every time I register a new account with DASP my auto-generated account user name gets uglier and uglier! Why can't we pick?! If you give us the ability to pick our own and the one I want is taken, I promise to take it in stride and try another name. I further promise to KEEP trying until I successfully find an available name. I would rather try a few times to find an available name then type an ugly every day for the rest of eternity!

This is how I feel when I get an ugly user name:

/emoticons/jumpin.gif

Thank you :)

2. Takeshi Eto

Takeshi Eto DiscountASP.NET Staff

We understand that the generated username can be "ugly" occasionally. However, please understnd, that in our years of experience in the hosting business, customer selected usernames can often cause many issues. You will find that hosts that allow customers to select the usernames will require a customer ID number to loginto the control panel, instead or along with the username.We believe that it is easier for customers to rememberourcurrently assigned username rather than a number.

DiscountASP.NET
    http://www.DiscountASP.NET

3. Yah, but that is why you guys are BETTER than other hosts and why I hold you to a higher standard! Come on, we both know it's not a technical impossibility to do it the right way. I'm always talking you up to my clients when I set them up with a new account, then embarrased when I have to explain (or can't explain) why their user name is 'UglyNamOrg001' (or something of the sort)

If you want, I'll write the code for you to let users choose their own user names correctly without ever having to reveal the UserID behind the scenes :)

I'll still love you either way.

Jeremy

www.HerculesSolutions.com

4. When I signed up for my first hosting account (I currently have five), I was in COMPLETE agreement that the username was a negative. Like most, I wanted to create my own username. After awhile, I realized two things.... First, it's commited to memory and it's more of a subconscience routine when logging in now, and secondly, it forces me to use a different username/password (which I consider a subtle security enhancement!)

I love discountasp.netas I'm sure all of you do, so just think about this (in a NON-OFFENSIVE or CONFRONTATIONAL WAY)... If you do NOT have the ability to change your username is the WORST thing you can say about their service, you should complain!

Just my 2 cents!

5. I know. That's why I said I would still love them either way :)