Please HELP - Site goes live July 18th

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by BBWells, Jul 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. Dear DASP,
    I have created my first .ASP site that populates about 60 pages with Rodeo Results. You can see the site here with test data at www.cfdresults.com. These .asp grid views are populated from SPROCs in the SQL data source; cfdresults.mdf and .ldf.

Here is what I need. This data needs to be "updated/refreshed" about 4x per day during the course of the rodeo.

Right now the site and SQL web server are hosted at Network Solutions. I do not have the rights to "attach" a database using SSMS 2008; and I cannot "restore" the database from a locally generated copy either. My only method at this point to get new data on the site is to open a support ticket requesting their server engineers attach or restore from a file I send them. This is totally unacceptable.

I am an noob with .ASP so I don't know how to write or code a web service to do this.

Here is the $6M question. If I transfer the hosting to DASP can I connect directly to the remote SQL Server and attach a new .mdf file and display new data using the SSMS, whenever I need to? Or, can I create a backup from the new data, upload (FTP) backup to remote SQL server and restore the database using the tools on the server?

If there is another way, please advise.

DESPERATE
    Most grateful for a reply,
    Brian Wells

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

You cannot attach using SSMS BUT you can upload the mdf file to your website and use the control panel tool (or the API) to attach the database file.

3. Thanks

We have signed up and are looking forward to having more control over our SQL Server than at the "other" hosting company we started with.

Thanks,
    Brian Wells

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.