POP Email to SmarterMail

Discussion in 'Email' started by prlsoftware, Oct 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. Hi.

Hotmail have recently (Feb this year) opened up POP3.

I'd like to have my SmarterMail client pop messages from Hotmail (or GMail or any other POP3 server). I've seen references online saying that the option is available in the SmarterMail client, so I can only assume it's been turned off.

Can this option be turned on?

What options do I have for getting my hotmail emails to my SmarterMail client OTHER than forwarding from Hotmail?

2. Hi,
    Do you use Outlook?
    I use the free Outlook Connector to send and receive Hotmail, works great.

3. Hi,
    I do use Outlook - but the problem is I'm frequently at client locations where both external POP servers AND hotmail are blocked (gotta hate spohos web applicance). But

I need the hotmail emails for my work. I can still access my Smartermail account, so if I can just find a way to have hotmail emails POPed by my Smateremail client I'd be happy.

Alternatively - what other web email client applications would anyone reccomend that I could install on my hosted domain in order to acheive this (I'd be able to pop both accounts that way).

Thanks,
    Philip

4. Pasted below is the current Hotmail help for the POP3 settings.
    You should be able to use this in many Email clients but I could not find anything on this for SmarterMail just now.

[​IMG]

5. Thanks - but I already had all of those detals... I'll try and make the request clearer.

I can't use Outlook because my connection to the internet has a Proxy server that blocks anything but web content. That is - email retreval and sending ports 25 and 995 (and almost all other ports) are closed.

Most web clients allow you to enter POP settings in so you can receive email from multiple pop accounts. However, these mainstream web mail providers are ALSO blocked. I'm a contractor so I'm exempt from these policies, BUT the IT staff at several organisations aren't going to make exceptions just for me.

My SmarterMail account ISN'T blocked by these web filters.

So I'd like to have my SmarterMail client "POP" (retreive) messages from hotmail account (or any other pop-server):
    http://www.smartertools.com/Portal/KB/a88/how-to-configure-pop3-retrieval.aspx

BUT I can't find these options so I have to conclude that they are turned off by DiscountASP.Net.

*** After google searching some more I've found that Discountasp.net has specifically TURNED THIS OPTION OFF!!!!!
    http://community.discountasp.net/archive/index.php/t-5110.html

My question is: Can discountasp.net turn that option on?

POPing emails from another POP server is a very standard thing to do. I moved to discountasp.net assuming that this standard option would be left on (it is the default option for SmarterMail).

If that's simply not going to happen can you please provide another solution that will allow me to have access to hotmail messages without me directly connecting to hotmail in any way AND without setting my other email accounts to all automatically forward to my SmarterMail account?

Perhaps suggest a freeware/cheap web mail app I can host on my domain that will accomplish the same task?

This is impacting me on a daily basis.

6. ...You are correct, it is a feature and one that is not supported here.
    I never spotted that before. ;-)

So when your connections are blocked you can't even access the on-line Live services?

7. Correct. Web and chat clients are blocked - but not my domain.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.