POP Retrieval feature Missing

Discussion in 'Email' started by beelerweb, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. The SmarterMail Help refers to POP Retrieval as an option. When adding a new account, there is supposed to be a checkbox:

Enable POP retrieval - Enabling this option will allow the user to pull their messages from a remote mail server into their account using POP.[/i]
    Then, under Settings, there is supposed to be an POP Retrieval option:

POP Retrieval
    Pop Retrieval, if made available by the System Administrator, allows users to access email on another server through the SmarterMail Web interface, so their messages can be stored on a local mail server.

When creating a new POP account, users also have the option to select the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) checkbox for mail servers that require SSL. Two widely known SSL mail servers are Yahoo, and Gmail.

This option appears to be missing. When logged in to SmareterMail as an administrator, under Domain Settings -> Default User Settings, I do see an "Enable pop retrieval" option (which I have checked). However, on the Email User -> User Settings page I don't see the "Enable POP rerieval" option. I also don't see the "POP Retrieval" option in the Settings menu.

The ability to pull emails from other systems (specifically yahoo and gmail) is HUGE and was THE ONE AND ONLY feature I really cared about with the migration to SmarterMail. I need to be able to pull all my emails to one place (leaving a copy on the original server) and was led to believe that this feature would be here with the new SmarterMail interface.

Am I missing something? Is this available? If so, where do I go in the SmarterMail interface to turn this on and set up my POP access to my external email accounts? If the feature is not available, why not and when will it be?

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Unfortunately, we decided not to offer this feature.

3. Can we get some explanation as to why not?

4. Ehh.. i'd really like to see this feature implemented as well...

It would be great to be able to get all my mail in one place...

5. mjp

mjp

The reason we did not enable that is because we do not want to become a mail service, with users storing gigs of messages (and files) ala Gmail.

You may have noticed that our default mail storage quota is 500MB, which is quite a large amount of space for mail, but with the recent storage space escalations sparked by Gmail, seems quaintly small in comparison. We choose not to compete on that front, but to continue to focus on our core competency, the .NET hosting side.

In fact, we would prefer that you download your mail and store it locally. I understand that means that we are kind of moving in the opposite direction of the big email providers, but we prefer to let them do their thing and we'll do ours.

Having said that, we do take your email needs very seriously. That is one of the main reasons we are migrating all of our users to Smarter Mail, to be able to provide really great mail service built by people who eat, sleep and breathe email. At least that's the impression I get from them. ;)

6. I understand your concerns regarding space...and not wanting to become an email service...

However thats not the way I would intend to use the facility.

I'm a freelancer.. and most of the time when on client sites I cannot connect my laptop to their network... so cannot download my email (outlook) until I get home that night.

But, I do like to be able to keep an eye on whats going on with my email while I'm on-site...
    I have a number of email accounts .. and having to log into each webmail page individually is a pain in the butt...

All I wanted was to be able to get ALL my mail into the smartermail account.. and then I can download (and clear) it when i get home

I mean ... you already have a quota system in place.. if people fill up their quota space and then can't get email.. well.. its their own lookout...

Anyway.. I dunno.. maybe turning on the pop3 facility would make life harder you you guys in ways that I don't know about .. so ... hummm.. whatever ...
    It is a 'nice to have' rather than a show stopper for me I suppose...

7. Have you tried the SyncTool in SmarterMail?

I use it to upload and download all of my mail and rss feeds, at once.

You can useit while connected, sync, then sync again later.

I'm using it in OutlookOffice 2007, works perfectly.

An added bonus is it also syncs my Live Hotmail.
    From one connection I get my personal mail, Site mail and Live Hotmail, with updated RSS feeds.
    The SyncTool also pushes and pulls my Calendar appointments and schedules.
    Salute,
    Mark

8. I need this feature turned on too. I think the small % of people who use it AND the existing HDD limmit should mitigate any abuse....

9. Bruce

i'll make a note of this. So far, we have not seen any demand for this feature (as you can see, 2 requests in 3 yrs)

10. Exactly! That disproves that the original argument, that turning the feature on would lead to discountasp.net being a "mail service". This was the ONLY reason given for the feature not being turned on, and if only two people over three years would have used it, the reasoning has proven to be flawed.

So now that there's no valid argument against having the feature turned on AND that the feature is a standard AND the feature is turned on by default AND the fact that customers need it (even just two of us over 3 years), could the feature please be turned on?

Unfortunatly this is a deal breaker for me. If I can't have this feature turned on OR find an alternate web mail application I can put on my domain myself to do the same thing, then I'm going to have to leave discountasp.net. This isn't a threat... it's just a core requirement for me.

If anyone has ideas for solutions I'm all ears.

11. Bruce

google mail?

12. I outlined my issue more fully in another thread.

I as a contractor in various offices. I can access internet through their networks, but I'm subject to their proxy servers. Serveral of the companies I work with have implemented Sophos Web Appliance at full security level. This means that no ports are accessable (other than 80 for web sites) and no web clients are accessable (including Hotmail, Gmail, yahoo and any other you can think of).

I can access Hotmail at some client networks and not others - so it depends on the week as to whether I can access Hotmail or not.

I can, however, access my domain and my webmail from any client network.

Therefore, I need a web based email client that I can configure to POP messages from hotmail when needed. SmarterMail has that option, but is currently turned off by discountasp.net (a non-default change to its configuration).

My request is that SmarterMail have the option turned back to the default "On" so that I can pop messages from Hotmail.

If that isn't going to happen I'm after suggestions on email clients I can install on my domain.

Thank you for your help.

13. Bruce

This is defininately not going to happen overnight.

We have to thoroughly investigate the overall performance issue related to enabling this feature which may take couple months.

14. That's understandable. I'm happy that the request is in the system and is going to be discussed with the potential of being turned on. That you for not dismissing this and considering it. My account comes up for renewal in about 6 or 7 months, so it would be great if you could let me know within in that time frame.

In the mean time I'll investigate short-term work arounds. I'll post back if I find anything.

Thank you

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.