Ports

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Bruce, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Do you mean connecting from your application to an outside computer through another port?

or Do you want your website listen to another port?

quote:Originally posted by cryowizard

Greetings all!

Can I open an HTTP server socket on my box (other than on standard port 80 of course)? Or is everything firewalled...?

Thanx

DM
    </blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

2. Greetings all!

Can I open an HTTP server socket on my box (other than on standard port 80 of course)? Or is everything firewalled...?

Thanx

DM

3. Actually, both, with emphasis on being able to listen on another port for a connection from outside the firewall.

quote:Originally posted by bruce

Do you mean connecting from your application to an outside computer through another port?

Greetings all!

Thanx

DM

4. Bruce

1) You should be able to connect to other port from your application on our server to other hosts on the net

2) We cannot change the port IIS listens to on your site.

Actually, both, with emphasis on being able to listen on another port for a connection from outside the firewall.

Greetings all!

Thanx

DM

5. Bruce that's not what I meant...This has nothing to do with IIS...I can have my own server socket with an HTTP listener, like a mini-webserver. This server socket can be created after a user hits an ASP.NET web page, and can listen on port, say, 12345 (again, this will have nothing to do with IIS any more)...The question is, do you allow an outside connection to reach that 12345 port or does the firewall block it all out (which I assume is the case but need to verify).

Regards

DM

1) You should be able to connect to other port from your application on our server to other hosts on the net

Actually, both, with emphasis on being able to listen on another port for a connection from outside the firewall.

Greetings all!

Thanx

DM

6. Bruce

We only block out certain known ports with security issue. However, i am not sure if you have the proper right on the server to create a socket listener.

Bruce that's not what I meant...This has nothing to do with IIS...I can have my own server socket with an HTTP listener, like a mini-webserver. This server socket can be created after a user hits an ASP.NET web page, and can listen on port, say, 12345 (again, this will have nothing to do with IIS any more)...The question is, do you allow an outside connection to reach that 12345 port or does the firewall block it all out (which I assume is the case but need to verify).

Regards

DM

Greetings all!

Thanx

DM