Possible to hide my posts from being displayed in google search?

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by iansml, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Hi,

I see that posts to this forum are showing up in google search when searching in google for a term that is the same as your DASP forum username. Is there a way you can change your account settings to hide these posts from google search? I only ask because I noticed that someone else I know happened to use his company name as a login name on these forums, so his pleas for help with technical issues are being displayed immediately below his website - which I guess is not the sort of impression he would like to give to his customers..!

I've contacted him about this but I thought that this may be of interest to some of you. Any ideas on how to hide/remove these from google search results? Or at least, hide the actual discussion threads themselves from click throughs..

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

i do not believe we can stop google from spidering the forum.

3. mjp

mjp

We could block the Google spider, but that would defeat part of the purpose of the forum, which is to draw people in who are not customers, show them how awesome we are, then sign them up. ;)

The best thing to do if you don't want the company name to show up in Google is to avoid using it in a post, and if necessary, change your forum username. If you want to change a username, send me a PM.