Problem using report server - I need to contact someone who can review my code

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by prairieflow, Dec 29, 2010.

1. I have been trying for weeks to incorporate reports into my application. I have posted requests for help and I have reviewed all of the recommended postings but I am not able to solve my problem.

I have created a report (rdl file) that I have uploaded to the report server using the report manager. When I upload my file, I get a message "redirect URL does not point to the report manager server". However, if I click on the 'view report' button, the report displays perfectly.

Using the program Visual Web Developer 2008 express, I added the Report Viewer object to my webpage (aspx file). The URL and path are pointing to the report on the report server. I also added code to the aspx.vb file that is intended to provide credentials information. When I connect with my website and go to the web page that contains the Report Viewer, the Report Viewer is displayed but the report is not displayed.

I need someone who has setup an application to run on the report server to review my code.

2. ...I'm willing to take a look at it, this is something I do for DASP accounts free of charge.
    ([email protected]) ZIP it and Email it to me and I'll take a look.

btw, you were able to do this with the Express version?
    Was the ReportViewer control in the toolbox?
    All the best,
    Mark

3. Mark,

Yes, I am able to create reports using the express addition. After I downloaded and installed Microsoft Visual Web 2008 express. I was able to download the Report Viewer object which was then automatically added to the tool box.

I really appreciate your willingness to review my code. I will zip the files and send them to you tomorrow.

Thanks,

Bette

4. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

I can be very honest w/ you Bette, using Report Viewer Control remote mode is a real pain. Based on what i see in this forum, many have struggle to use it (including myself).

I am not sure why you would want to create a web application that connects to the reporting service server. Have you consider rendering it directly using report viewer control? Using local mode (with report viewer) is much easier.

5. Problem with Report Viewer

Bruce,

Thank you for sharing with me that I am not alone in having problems - I was beginning to feel like a complete idiot.

As to using report viewer in local mode - my customers have to be able to access my website from any computer with the only requirement being that the computer have a browser and access to the internet. Wouldn't using report viewer in local mode require them to have additional software installed on their computer?

Bette

6. ...Using the VS ReportViewer control will let them have access from anywhere, they don't need anything, but as you noted before the VS ReportViewer doesn't have all the bells and whistles of RS. You can still create some nice reports.
    Something you may not realize is, the Silverlight Report controls.
    Search codeplex.com for some code examples, they're all free.
    All the best,
    Mark