Problems Deploying Ajax Site

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by JohnBF, May 24, 2008.

1. I'm having difficulty with Ajax, but not like ones I've seen in the forums. All the pages work fine in VWD 2008 - I'm creating simple sites from from the ASP.net Ajax "How Do I" videos. However, deploying them to DiscountAsp...

A simple page using just the update panel runs without error messages, but the the update panel doesn't work - the whole page updates on postback, not just the contents of the update panel.

When I try to use a Toolkit control, I get an error message:

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'AjaxControlToolkit' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

(The AjaxControlToolkik.dll and all the control-specific files are in a bin file, just like on my local machine.) I'd appreciate any insights on the problem. Thanks.

/John

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Hmm.. did you put the dll in the correct bin directory? Remember, .NET only reads the bin directory in the application root.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. Good suggestion. It got me thinking in a direction that led right to the solution. I forgot to use the application tool toenable the program's folder as an application. The application ran anyway, and it's folder contained the bin with the ajax toolkit dll, but it wasn't the application root, so it wasn't where .net was looking for the bin.

At least that's my theory, andanyway everything works fine now. Thanks!

/John