redirection limit for this url exceeded

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by Bruce, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

How does the URL differ between the orginal page (no login attempt) and after you tried to login w/ the incorrect password?

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

2. The page doesn't differ - if a user enters an incorrect password, the page displays a message with that information. I have it posting back to itself rather than going to a 'result' page.

I just discovered that this problem is also ocurring on the registration page. What I did was the following ... I created a user account for you so you could see the problem. I get a successful registration message (the details do get entered into the database), however, when I try to click on the 'login' link it produces the same error as mentioned earlier.

FYI: The username I created for you is 'bruce' with the password 'bruce' - eliminate the quotes. The url to the site is http://beta-158644.server1.dotnetsandbox.net/

What I also noticed is that after the error occurs, any attempt to navigate to any page also produces the error, so even if I stop IE or FireFox from trying to go to the redirect I cannot navigate to any other page in the website using one of the href links on the page. Even if I close the browser window and go back to the site it will not work. I have to make sure that every FireFox window is closed and then open a new FireFox window before it works again.

thanks for your help Bruce,
    Dan

3. This is an recent error I've been getting on server1.dotnetsandbox.net.

The problem occurs when I follow the following procedure:
    1. go to the login screen from the intial default page.
    2. attempt to login with an incorret password.
    3. attempt to login with a correct password.

If I log-in with the correct password then there's no problem. I've checked the settings in the <authorization> section of the web.config and they were set to allow all users. I then removed the section. Neither action resolved the problem.

Some reading I've done mentions a loop on a redirect, so I took out the redirects in the script and only let the href links and I still get the error.

IE continuously loops, however FireFox shows the error I've listed in the subject.
    any ideas?

thanks in advance,
    Dan

4. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

i was not able to replicate the problem you described. did you already fix the probelm

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

5. Hi Bruce,

No I haven't resolved the issue yet. I've also tested it on two computers and received the same problem. So ...

1. you were able to attempt a login with an incorrect password and received the error message I created.
    2. you then attempted another login with the correct password and successfully entered the sight within a few seconds?

6. Hi Bruce,

I just resolved the issue by adding a Session.Clear(); statement at the end of the incorrect password process. I don't understand why that would have thrown it off, but it did resolve the issue.

Thanks for your follow-up,
    Dan