RichMessageBoard

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by timper, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Any ideas on how to install the trial version locally?

According to this KB article; http://kb.discountasp.net/article.aspx?id=10596
    you can just download the trial version and drop the DLL in your bin. But after downloading from Rich Components and installing there is not DLL only an ActivationUI.exe. It appears that you need to activate it first. So, how do you get atrial version to use?

2. OK, the problem doesn't seem to be with the download. It looks like this control is only setup for VS2005. Does anyone know if it can be used with VS2008/.Net3.5 and how to set it up?

3. Hi,
    I'm creating examples for DASP customers with VS2008.
    One exists on the IIS7test server right now.
    We are currently waiting for RicherComponents to resolve a few known issues that I found.
    For that reason I am not releasing the examples or Webcast just yet. [​IMG]
    Here's the live test page: http://iis7test.com/tests/feedback.aspx

For that test to work the SQL Server objects were created by the Richer wizard in VS2008.
    Then this file was placed in the /bin/ folder: RichMessageBoard1.dll

This is all of the code for that live testspage:

4. Quote: "For that test to work the SQL Server objects were created by the Richer wizard in VS2008."

The problem we have is the control will not render in VS2008 so the wizards are not available (basically the smart tag is not active). In VS2005 we can see the wizards, etc. and set a page up but unfortunately our site is VS2008/.Net 3.5 so this doesn't help much. The Vs2008 error is attached.

Would it be best for Rich Components to resolve this issue with VS2008 or are there other steps/ideas to get this working?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

5. So, I'm thinking your post had a typo and you meant to use VS2005 to create the database components. At any rate using VS2005 we generated the SQL scripts, created the objects and then configured the control in VS2008. It's not pretty in the designer (still doesn't render) but it works at run time - hooray.

Hopefully there will be a VS2008 update from Rich Components sooner rather than later.

Thanks.

6. Hi,
    No typo, I have only been using Visual Studio 2008 Pro for all of the tests.
    That demo page was created by me with VS2008 Pro.
    I have not had any trouble getting their RichMessageBoard component to work in VS2008.
    Try dopping it in with Source view, once it's on the page switch to Design view.
    Try it like I did in the code I posted, after the Form tag and within a DIV.

By the way, On Vista I'm not using VS2005 any longer, just VS2008 with the official SP1 and Silverlight updates.
    Salute,
    Mark

7. Thanks for the reply Mark.
    We are using VS2008, WinXP, Sp2 and the control does not render in design mode. The page is setup the same as yours.

8. Do you have the Register at the top of your page, like this?

9. yep. Here's the entire page.

10. Yup..Same for me:
    C:\Program Files\RicherComponents\RichMessageBoard3\net2.0\RichMessageBoard1.dll

If it does make any differance I have added the reference to the web.config but didn't use it from there:

11. looks like we are doing the same thing. I also added the reference to web.config along with the connection string information (slightly different than your original example). Strange that it's working for you and not us or maybe not it is VS after all. :)

12. Guess it could be a permissions issue but we are not running Vista. We are running XP SP2 and like all good devs we're logged in as admins. :)

13. The only other thing I can think of, since you are getting a generic handle error in VS is...
    I'm running VS2008 in Admin mode on Vista.

There have been many reports of com objects failing in VS2008 when not run in Admin mode.
    This is also true for VS2008 templates, it seems.
    Salute,
    Mark

14. OK...Let's try this:
    1. Open that page in VS2008.
    2. Now from the main file menu, Tools..Then Choose Toolbox items.
    3. Once it initializes, (man that can take a long time in VS2008), select the .NET Framework tab.
    4. Scroll down and see if RichMessageBoard is there.
    5. If so it should look like this:
      Checked, RichMessageBoard, RicherComponents.Controls.RichMessageBoardNS, RichMessageBoard1 (1.0.0.31018)
    6. Lastly it will show the directory you installed it in.

I didn't think about this before but there could possibly be a lock happening on XP.
    Salute,
    Mark

15. Yep, it shows exactly what you have listed.
    FWIW the install directory is; C:\Program Files\RicherComponents\RichMessageBoard3\net2.0

16. Timper,

did you test the RichMessageBoard component on another machine rather than the one is showing the design time issue?
    Im a member of the RicherComponents Team and imcurrently the one who is making changes,fixing issues, etcon the RichMessageBoard and i have tested it on VS2008 .NET 3.5 and seems to be working fine.

Could you please try on another machine so we can conclude is not the component but the machine?

Let me know your results so we can move forward on this issue.

Thanks

17. Hey, I am a VS.Net 2008 user having troubles. I installed the component I downloaded from the Richer website and it is not appearing in my toolbox. Please give the step by step instructions for adding it to my toolbox, adding it to a web page, pointing it at my SQL server and telling it to use the aspnet forms auth I have configured for my site. Thanks!

18. Hi,
    When they release the update I'll create a Webcast for each aspect.
    Installing, connecting, etc.

I keep checking for the update and hopefully they will also let me know via Email.
    Salute,
    Mark

19. Here's an additional question on this subject (I also cannot see the control in Design mode, VS2008-SP1, WinXP-SP3).

I have the control in two pages on DiscountASP.net. In one case it is in the root directory of the domain and the RichMessageBoard1.dll is in the \bin directory. When this page comes up at runtime, the control does not appear and eventually the page generates a fault: "An exception was thrown when trying to get information from the server. More info: "Error while trying to create the MessageBoard HTML control.0|""

I have the control on a second identical page in a separate project in an \admin folder on the same domain. This project has its own \admin\bin which also contains the RichMessageBoard1.dll. When this page comes up at runtime, the control displays correctly and I can Post and Edit normally.

I'd appreciate any help on getting this running correctly in the root case. Thanks in advance.

Dave

20. Hi Dave,
    Believe me...I want to get this rolling but they have not posted the update yet.

On the IIS7 test server I did this test page with no trouble in VS2008 Pro and SQL Server 2005:
    http://iis7test.com/tests/feedback.aspx

If you want I can Email the code for that to you.
    I do have the current version of{RichMessageBoard1.dll} in the /bin/ folder but it should also work without it.
    Since DASP installed the components, we should only need our own refresh if we are using a newer version.

The version I'm using for that test is 1.0.1.408, 08 Aug 2008.
    Salute,
    Mark

21. Thanks Mark,

Just for clarity, I tried removing RichMessageBoard1.dll from both the root/bin (has never worked)and the root/admin/bin (works fine) folders.

In both cases, I am getting this error:
    Could not load file or assembly 'RichMessageBoard1' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

So, I'm wondering if DiscountASP really has this control loaded on the server or if there is some versioning conflict going on.

Dave

22. Hi,
    I'm glad you brought that up...Just opened the IIS7 manager and looked into the GAC.
    It's not there...
    Guess the plan is for us to do it from our site /bin/, which I don't mind actually.

If your site is on IIS7 you can look at the GAC anytime you want.
    Webcast #5: http://iis7test.com/webcasts/

This is the code for the test page I posted a link to:

23. We've resolved the issue with RichMessageBoard controls not showing up in our root project. We had a mistake in our web.config connection string.

We're still experiencing the issue in Design mode and that our DiscountASP.net server is not running the control (thoughthis is overcome by putting the dll in the bin folder).

Dave