Running ASP.NET 1.1 or 2.0 sitewide

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by sboux, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Hello,

I know now that you can run ASP.NET version 1.1 or 2.0 site wide on discountasp. I've been doing some reading on running both versions on the same web server and it seems you can choose which version is run by virtual directory.

I guess what I am curious to know, and this is probably a question for the discountasp staff, does anyone know if this is this going to be an option provided for discountasp customers in the future on the discountasp hosting control panel?

Hypothetically speaking, I have completed a subsystem of a web app running at www.foo.com/admin using ASP.NET 1.1. I would REALLY like to create another subsystem of the web app at www.foo.com/members using 2.0 with the recent release ASP.NET 2.0. I can do it locally on my development machine. But I wouldn't be able to deploy it on my discountasp account because of the site-wide thing.

Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks!

2. Takeshi Eto

Takeshi Eto DiscountASP.NET Staff

No, this is not going to be available. The .NET framework you choose will be for your entire website.

DiscountASP.NET
    http://www.DiscountASP.NET

3. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

It is not possible for the IIS worker process to run 2 different version of the CLR at the same time.

The only way to do allow 1.1 and 2.0 in different directory is to run each directory in a different application.

We host your site in a unique application pool for better stabilty and security. It is not possible that we can assign more than 1 application pool for an individual customer.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET