Separate DASP Login for Support/FTP team?

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by iansml, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Hi,

We have hundreds of customers who occasionally need to ftp sensitive data to us. I don't want to have to create separate logins and directories for each, so what we decided on was to have a few generic "secure upload" directories that can only be accessed by specific logins (e.g. only "secure1" user can read/write to "ftp/secure1dir" and "secure2" user can read/write to "ftp/secure2" dir etc.). We will then clear the directory and change the password for that secure login once the customer has finished, meaning that we can rotate these generic logins.

The problem with this approach is that I think it will mean that I (as the holder of the Discount ASP.Net login details) am going to be inundated with requests to change these passwords. Is there any way I can let the support team do this without giving them full admin access? I've just had to change my Discount ASP.Net admin password for the hundredth time after someone senior in the support team accidentally gave this out to a FTP customer, so I'd really rather not have to give them the new password again.

Is it possible to create a user login for the DiscountASP.Net admin section that only allows access to certain areas (e.g. FTP password changes)? Alternatively, I see that there is a control panel API - can I use this to write a .net application that only changes these ftp passwords? Do you have some code examples of how I could do this with the API? I can't see any documentation for setting up/using the API - can someone tell me where this is?

Thanks very much,

Ian

2. mjp

mjp

It is not possible to create Control Panel logins that access only part of Control Panel.

The API documentation is here. I haven't seen any specific FTP-related projects. You might try posting in the API forum to ask.