server time synchronization

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by hrmilo, Mar 17, 2008.

1. I was wondering if someone can explain how well the servers are time-synchronized? Is there anything in place for this?

I am seeing a 24 minute disparity between my web server and database server.
    It is causing web sessions to time out improperly.

It is very disconcerting to my customers to get spuriously booted out of their session. Also, seeing these time disparities in order histories andthings of that natureis not good.

I would like to see if anyone else out there is experiencing similar issues, and would like to suggest having some good atomic time sychronization between servers if it does not exist.

And before someone points it out, I already do understand that the significant burden of responsibility rests on application programmers to ensure time syncronicity of data from front-end to back-end. But the amount of time it would take to re-tool a bought 3rd party application to make sure this happens does not lend itself to solvingthe immediate timeout problems. Nor does it obviate the point that time syncing servers is a pretty basic administrative responsibility.

Thanks
    Rex

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

All our server should have the same time because it uses the same time server to sync time.

if you believe the time is off, please open a support ticket w/ the web / sql server name so we can check.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. Yes, the instructions I followed were missing a vital point in obtaining the correct SQL timestamp. I do believe the servers are very much in sync.

Thanks!

4. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff