Servers down

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Miro, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Is there a way to flag an account, that if a webserver goes down
    ( such as web707 ) this morning, then the account gets an email in its alternate email address that it is down.

It would save a bit of hassel on my side trying to track down customers calls.

I would already have an email instantly when you flag a "server" as down, and when you flag it as "up".

Thanks

Miro

2. i second this

3. mjp

mjp

We can do server-specific Control Panel news items, but the eternal question/problem with notifications is when do you send them?

For example, web707 was not down, a site on it was being DDoSed. More specifically, the targeted domain had a DNS entry that pointed to a specific IP address on the server.

But each shared server has more than one IP. We distribute sites across as many as 10 IP addresses on each server (in order to minimize the negative effect of an attack such as this). And unfortunately, we do not have the ability to notify users whose sites are on a specific IP.

So the question becomes how to balance notifications to users who need/want them against a blanket notification that would include many users who were not affected (or did not want notification - which is a different bag of fish altogether). This comes up every time there is an outage, and if you notice, different people want different things.

As it is, we will be notifying anyone on the server who is affected to let them know the new IP, but even a good number of them will not have to take any action related to the IP change (oops, scrap that - see the update in the outage thread!). Multiple email notifications and updates are unwanted by most users. I know that's difficult to believe if you're someone who wants to know every detail, but it's true. It's always been true in this business.

We're always open to suggestions, but I'm afraid a flag notification such as you have suggested wouldn't be workable as things stand. It's a good idea though, and it might be something we could look into developing in the future.