Service Unavailable

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by unborracho, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Can anyone explain why my asp.net 2.0 hosting is unavailable?

http://beta-167570.server1.dotnetsandbox.net/

Thanks!

Edit: nevermind - seems to be up now. This is the second time I've seen this happen. Are the server admins working on the server or something?

Edit2: spoke too soon... it's back down again :-(

Post Edited (Ken Sykora) : 10/6/2005 8:25:08 PM GMT

2. I am still having issues with this - The server seems to go down and up every ten minutes! This is very frustrating. Can a forums moderator or someone at discountasp.net please respond to this?

3. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

i checked the server log and see that there are a number of entries regarding your site.

The error was unhandled exception.

I guess your code crashed asp.net!!

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

4. Bruce: I appreciate you looking into this for me.

Can you tell me what the error was that crashed it? Or better yet post the server log?

I (and i'm sure others on Server1) would like to see this issue resolved!

Edit: I think I may have found it... An unhandled exception was being thrown in my Application_Error event, which in turn was running Application_Error... you get the idea. I would still like to see the log though to make sure that was what was causing the error.

Edit 2: Nope - I'm still getting service unavailable's - Any type of logs you can provide me will help greatly - I don't understand why it's crashing so often. I can't seem to reproduce this myself.

Post Edited (Ken Sykora) : 10/10/2005 9:40:44 PM GMT

5. Bruce

Here it is

Event code: 3005
    Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
    Event time: 10/7/2005 1:34:05 PM
    Event time (UTC): 10/7/2005 8:34:05 PM
    Event ID: a588269a73b64da29a273bdafb4b9985
    Event sequence: 7725
    Event occurrence: 132
    Event detail code: 0

Application information:
    Application domain: /LM/w3svc/xxxxxxx/root-1-127731551827964127
    Trust level: Full
    Application Virtual Path: /
    Application Path: e:\web\xxxxxxxxx\htdocs\
    Machine name: ASPNETB1

Process information:
    Process ID: 1248
    Process name: w3wp.exe
    Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Exception information:
    Exception type: HttpException
    Exception message: Request is not available in this context

Request information:
    Request URL:
    Request path:
    User host address:
    User:
    Is authenticated: False
    Authentication Type:
    Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Thread information:
    Thread ID: 5
    Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
    Is impersonating: False
    Stack trace: at System.Web.HttpApplication.get_Request()
    at ofs.Global.Session_End(Object sender, EventArgs e) in http://server/App_Code/Global.asax.cs:line 353

Custom event details:

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

6. Thanks for this - I have since updated the global.asax.cs file so the line numbers have changed - can you post it again if it happens? Any way you can provide me access to the file?

7. Bruce

ken,

pls try test your code in your local machine. it's very difficult for me to find the event for you, i have to go through them manually. There are hundreds of thousands of these entries and stupid MS event viewer do not have a search feature.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

8. I do test the code on the local machine, but am unable to reproduce the 'Service Unavailable' error...

What else can cause this error?

9. Bruce

honestly, i have no idea!!

asp.net 2.0 is still a beta software and can have potential issues.

i'll try an dig up the latest error for you if i have some time.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

10. Thanks for your help on this Bruce. I appreciate it greatly.

11. I believe that I have found the solution for this issue -

I created a DatabaseHandler class that I created a singleton instance of in the Global.asax.cs (this was gotten through a read-only property). I believe the problem was occurring when many clients were trying to accessing the class at once.

Who knows! I made it so a new instance of the class was made every time it was requested in the Property, and that seems to have solved my problem.

Who knows what was really occuring.

12. Again, I spoke too soon.

We are getting 'Service Unavailable' errors again.

Please help, bruce!

Is someone restarting the server? I have a very hard time believing that an unhandled exception would crash asp.net!

Edit: I looked on the asp.net forums and found one case where a webhost was sending 503 Service Unavailable errors. Does this beta server stop our webapp from serving if there is too much load?

Post Edited (Ken Sykora) : 10/12/2005 9:15:01 PM GMT

13. Bruce

i couldn't find any error in the past 12 hours in the log. did you fix the problem?

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

14. No - The server will still on occassion return "503 Service Unavailable". My theory right now is that my webapp is causing too much load on your server and your server is recycling the application pool and denying further requests until it is completed.

Any thoughts? Does discountasp.net offer dedicated hosting that I can install .net 2.0 b2 on?

15. Bruce

No. The application pool was not recycled.

only the appllication crash was recorded

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

16. Is it true though that your web server will give a 503 Service Unavailble if my webapp is using up too much CPU Time?

17. Bruce

18. I have been having the same problem. It is not code related, but time based. I created a simple query writer page so I could execute sql against my ms sql db due to corporate firewalls blocking direct mssql connections.

Sometimes I can execute a query and get the service unavailable error. I hit back and retry the same request.
    After a few retries, it works.

I started checking my user activity log and every time I get the service unavailable error, users are logged into the site. The site is fairly low cpu intensive except for one portion. There is some gdi+ processing that converts images to black/white and sepia. Also a lot of thumbnail processing.

The only thing I can think that is causing my problems isan over memory threshhold or or cpu activity.

Are the hosting servers setup with thresholds and if so does anyone know what they are

19. Bruce

AHH.... i think i know what the problem is!!

The beta server has a real low concurrent connection limit (it's meant for testing, right :>) and when the concurrent connection limit is hit, you get this silly error.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET