Set for 1.1 or 2.0?

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by Takeshi Eto, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Takeshi Eto

Takeshi Eto DiscountASP.NET Staff

Microsoft says that ASP.NET 2.0 should be backward compatible with ASP.NET 1.1, but there is no guarantee. If you are using functions in ASP.NET 1.1 that were deprecated or modified/changed in ASP.NET 2.0, then there could be issues.

Which ever framework you choose to use will apply to your entire website.

DiscountASP.NET
    http://www.DiscountASP.NET

2. I think I understand that I can set my web site to use either the 1.1 or 2.0 framework but I want to be sure I don't screw things up (a skill I have!). I currently have several apps on the web site that were built for the 1.1. framework. I also have an app on the 2.0 sandbox server. If I set my IIS account to 2.0 will all my old apps continue to work? Can I then move my 2.0 app to my production server and run it alongside my old 1.1. apps?

I would expect the 2.0 framework to offer downward compatibility with 1.1 apps so I don't see why I wouldn't want to move to 2.0 but I want to be sure.

Wayne

------------
    Wayne

3. I would suggest you to test it locally rather than on your live account.Also if you switch from one framework to another you loose all your custom mappings (if you had requested for any?) and everything else remains unchanged.

Vikram

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

4. <...Which ever framework you choose to use will apply to your entire website...>

My intent is to change to 2.0 to make an instant verification that an app/website developed for 1.1 would in fact work under 2.0. I can afford some downtime (e.g. 1 hour) during such a test.

If I were to switch to 2.0 and if some unexpected issues arose that required the site to revert back to 1.1, is it simply a matter of changing the list box back to 1.1 to restore the working app/web-site?

Or, is it the case that when you switch to 2.0 -- it's for good, thereby effectively rendering the site in-op?

TIA

5. So I went and did something I probably shouldn't have. After reading that 2.0 was backwards-compatible, and figuring that I had no custom mappings, I switched my IIS from 1.1 to 2.0. Oops.The site NOT work (using CSK/GCN 1.1).

So here's my problem: I switched back to .NET 1.1 and the site is fine. HOWEVER, all my images don't work (only using .gif and .jpg). I thought this would be fine as these MIME types are part of the defaults. My web.config file is unchanged:

6. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

CSK 1.1 requires special script maps for the graphic files.

When you switch the framework, the script maps are reset.

You can create a support ticket and request that .gif, .jpg, .jpeg extension be mapped to ASP.NET ISAPI.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET