ShaePoint Services

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by David4FSU, Oct 27, 2003.

1. I think it is great that you are offering FrontPage 2003 support but I was wondering if there was any chance you would support Sharepoint Services (The free version, not Sharepoint Portal). I use DiscountASP.net as a sandbox to try different technology that I use for my clients and some have expressed an interest in this latest version of FrontPage with Sharepoint Services.

Just a thought, keep up the good work,
    David

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

We do not intend to offer SharePoint Team Service because it is being replaced by SharePoint Windows Service.

There's not immediate plan to offer SharePoint Windows Service. We are looking at next year at the earliest.

quote:Originally posted by David4FSU

I think it is great that you are offering FrontPage 2003 support but I was wondering if there was any chance you would support Sharepoint Services (The free version, not Sharepoint Portal). I use DiscountASP.net as a sandbox to try different technology that I use for my clients and some have expressed an interest in this latest version of FrontPage with Sharepoint Services.

David
    </blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

3. Well, next year is only 6 weeks away...and Sharepoint is integral to Front Page's concepts now. Without SP the 2003 FrontPage version is only a minor upgrade that actually runs just fine on any server with the previous version on it; with SharePoint, it's an exciting and fairly unique way of doing a website that has a lot to recommend it...and would probably be worth more of your time than worrying about PHP on this ASP-oriented site.

quote:Originally posted by bruce

We do not intend to offer SharePoint Team Service because it is being replaced by SharePoint Windows Service.

There's not immediate plan to offer SharePoint Windows Service. We are looking at next year at the earliest.

I think it is great that you are offering FrontPage 2003 support but I was wondering if there was any chance you would support Sharepoint Services (The free version, not Sharepoint Portal). I use DiscountASP.net as a sandbox to try different technology that I use for my clients and some have expressed an interest in this latest version of FrontPage with Sharepoint Services.

David

Jon
    (Information doesn't want to be free, it wants to be sixty-nine cents @ pound)

4. Bruce

Point well taken.

We are working on supporting Sharepoint Windows Service.

Frontpage extension has always given us (web host) a lot of pain because it is not the most stable product in the world.

If we are an irresponsible host, we can just go in and install SharePoint service and start offering it but we take pride on our service and knowledge. This is the reason why we try to understand everything about a product before we start offering it to our customers.

quote:Originally posted by JonO

Well, next year is only 6 weeks away...and Sharepoint is integral to Front Page's concepts now. Without SP the 2003 FrontPage version is only a minor upgrade that actually runs just fine on any server with the previous version on it; with SharePoint, it's an exciting and fairly unique way of doing a website that has a lot to recommend it...and would probably be worth more of your time than worrying about PHP on this ASP-oriented site.

David

Jon

5. Yep, Front Page has always made it easier on the developers (and sometimes that phrase would have to be used very loosely) and harder on the sys ads - though you guys seem to be more than a bit of both.

On the other hand, the word in the MSFT FP forums is that in 2003 they got it right (must be their third time) so how are you guys doing with it?

Point well taken.

Frontpage extension has always given us (web host) a lot of pain because it is not the most stable product in the world.

If we are an irresponsible host, we can just go in and install SharePoint service and start offering it but we take pride on our service and knowledge. This is the reason why we try to understand everything about a product before we start offering it to our customers.

Well, next year is only 6 weeks away...and Sharepoint is integral to Front Page's concepts now. Without SP the 2003 FrontPage version is only a minor upgrade that actually runs just fine on any server with the previous version on it; with SharePoint, it's an exciting and fairly unique way of doing a website that has a lot to recommend it...and would probably be worth more of your time than worrying about PHP on this ASP-oriented site.

David

Jon

Jon

6. Bruce

Truth is.... No. FP 2003 is not much better than its predecessor.

FP 2003 claims that you can use FTP to transfer file and do not require any extension. The problem is 90% of the functions doesn't work unless you use the extension (remember, there's no FP 2003 extension, it's still using FP 2002 extension).

Another mess up thing is that all sharePoint site needs a SQL database to run (at least that's how I understand it, i am not responsible for testing it).

Yep, Front Page has always made it easier on the developers (and sometimes that phrase would have to be used very loosely) and harder on the sys ads - though you guys seem to be more than a bit of both.

On the other hand, the word in the MSFT FP forums is that in 2003 they got it right (must be their third time) so how are you guys doing with it?

Point well taken.

David

Jon

Jon

7. quote:Originally posted by bruce

Truth is.... No. FP 2003 is not much better than its predecessor.

FP 2003 claims that you can use FTP to transfer file and do not require any extension. The problem is 90% of the functions doesn't work unless you use the extension (remember, there's no FP 2003 extension, it's still using FP 2002 extension).

Another mess up thing is that all sharePoint site needs a SQL database to run (at least that's how I understand it, i am not responsible for testing it).</blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Is that the same FP extensions that VS uses sometimes?

IMXHO Anyone who is using MSFT technology needs to use SQLServer. Access and MySQL just don't make the cut.

Well, here we are in the early stages of 2004...is Sharepoint on the horizon?

Jon