Site works fine on localhost; numerous problems in Sandbox

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by laschus, Sep 23, 2005.

1. When I test my website through localhost on VS2005 Beta 2 everything works just fine. When I upload to DASP I encounter a litany of errors. I'm completely at a loss as to what is causing these problems or if I'm just not savvy enough at this stuff yet (although I would think that would show up in my localhost testing).

Here's the laundry list:
    1. Using the ~/ prefix to point to the virtual root directory doesn't work to register controls or reference master pages. When I remove the ~/ and replace with ../ or nothing at all it works fine, but Microsoft seems to indicate that ~/ is the preferred method. This is more of a nuisance than a fatal error, but something that doesn't make sense within the framework.
    2. No matter what I do, I cannot get themes to work. I've tried using <pages theme="<themename>"> in the web.config and page.theme="<themename>" in the Page_PreInit code and I always get a "Theme cannot be found in the Global or Themes directory" or something to that effect. The theme is saved in the App_Themes folder and works fine locally.
    3. Although I have no database connections (I am consuming data remotely using a Web Reference pointing to a Web Service) I constantly get a Timeout error attempting to create a SQL Server 2005 database. Why would I need to have a database created if I have no database connections?
    4. So far the project is extremely simple...one default page wrapped inside a master page with a single control wrapped inside a single WebPart.

My intention is to launch this site as soon after RTM as possible, and I have remote users who would like to review the progress. Aside from having them all come to my office to view on my localhost, anyone have any ideas as to where I'm going wrong?? Any help wuld be GREATLY appreciated!!