SMTP Issues Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 & Exchange Server

Discussion in 'Email' started by silacom, Oct 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. I recently switched to discountASP.NET andcan't send outgoing mail from Outlook 2007 clients runningin anExchange Serverenvironment. I am able to send messages from SmarterMail Web Interface and incoming email is NOT a problem.

Doesanyone have any information that might assist me with the configuration of the smtp connectorto discountASP.NET'smail servers (I've tried every settingI could think of and no luck (alsodid NOT have any problems connecting via exchange to my previous Web Hosting company).

I submitted a support ticket, but they were absolutely NO help what-so-ever!

Errors: Here are the types of messages I am getting from my email clients (Outlook 2007).

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Test 2007-10-07 Test1
    Sent: 10/7/2007 7:50 AM

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

User([email protected]) on 10/7/2007 7:50 AM
    There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator.
    <silacom-tech.com #5.5.0 smtp;550 <[email protected]> No such user here>

User([email protected]) on 10/7/2007 7:50 AM
    There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator.
    <silacom-tech.com #5.5.0 smtp;550 [email protected]> No such user here

User ([email protected]) on 10/7/2007 7:41 AM
    <silacom-tech.com #5.5.0 smtp;550 <[email protected]> No such user here>

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Your ISP most like block SMTP connection to mail server outside of their network.

To resolve issue, either switch the SMTP server to your ISP's or change the port to 587.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. My ISP did NOT block my SMTP connection, I verified that for sure...

How/where do Ichange the SMTP Port in Microsoft Exchange?

4. Bruce

You lost me a little bit now. Are you using Outlook or Exchange? If you are using Exchange, are you trying to relay through our SMTP server?

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

5. I am using Micosoft Outlook 2007 on my client machines which point toMicrosoft Exchange Server (running on a Microsoft Small Business Server).

Yes,I am trying to relay through DiscountASP.NET's SMTP Server for my domain (silacom-tech.com) because my ISP (Qwest) doesn't use SMTP to routeoutgoing mail.

I really could have used some help with the configuration of the SMTP Connector. Aftereight hours ofmanuallytweakingtheConnector setting I am now able to send outgoing mail.

I figured out how to change the port to 587 from within Microsoft Exchange Server (see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/274842) but that didn't solve the problem right off the bat, I still had to monkey with the settings for another few hours beforeI got it to work.

If anyone else runs into this problem I would be glad toshare mySMTP connector settings with you, it might be helpful (contact me at [email protected]).

Thanks for your input Bruce!

Good luck all!

6. Bruce

Just curious, why would you want to relay mail to our mail server? I would have simply configure your exchange to relay mail directly, you will get better performance.

>because my ISP (Qwest) doesn't use SMTP to routeoutgoing mail.

I am not quite understand what you mean by that. Do you mean Qwest is blocking SMTP port?

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

7. Ok Bruce, I would be more than glad to implementthat suggestion (I would agreeperformance is NOT optimal at this point and I am seeing delays) but I don't know how to do that in Exchange, could you please explain the proceedure (in DETAIL would be great)...

8. Just curious, why would you want to relay mail to our mail server? I would have simply configure your exchange to relay mail directly, you will get better performance.

>because my ISP (Qwest) doesn't use SMTP to routeoutgoing mail.

I am not quite understand what you mean by that. Do you mean Qwest is blocking SMTP port?

==========

Qwest/MSN

MSN doesn't have POP/SMTP servers. They use HTTP servers instead. If you are receiving mail from a third party and they don't offer outgoing mail (SMTP) access directly and because MSN doesn't have an SMTP server, you would not be able to use Outlook/Outlook Express, etc. to send your outgoing mail.

In order to fix this, we would need to change the ISP to qwest.net and you would then need to order a static IP in order to allow mail relay and use the outgoing mail server for qwest.net.Neither MSN or Qwest blocks the SMTP portI hope this answers your question?

9. Bruce

I see.. so what you are saying is that you don't want to relay mail from your location because you don't have static ip.

Unfortunately, I am not too familiar w/ Exchange and can't really give you much help on setting up SMTP connector. May be someone else can give you some pointer.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.