smtp server in web.config file

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by sgrg, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Hello-

I cannot send email through my website. I wonder if my smtp setting is correct.
    I tried without the port without success. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thankyou.

<system.net>

<mailSettings>

<smtp deliveryMethod="Network" from="[email protected]">

<network host="(localhost)" port="25"/>

</smtp>

</mailSettings>

</system.net>

2. I was able to getsend emailworking(setting below).

However,the email has Subject: SPAM-LOW: Mail from Gurkhas.com.

Howcan Iremove this SPAM-LOW textfrom theemail subject?

Thankyou.

<system.net>

<mailSettings>

<smtp deliveryMethod="Network" from="[email protected]">

<network host="localhost" port="25"/>

</smtp>

</mailSettings>

</system.net>

3. I think you're getting that simply because the mail reader you're using added it. It's not being generated at the source. So I suspect you're testing it by sending the email to yourself at DASP. In SmarterMail on DASP there's a setting for the spam filter that allows you to specify what actions to take when you *receive* an email that it has decided looks like it might be spam. Depending on the outcome of its decision process, it categorizes that email as a high/moderate/low likelyhood that this specific message is spam. Then it takes some action based on that categorization. By default, the action is to add "SPAM-HIGH", "SPAM-MED", or "SPAM-LOW" to the subject line in order to mark it for you. The idea is that you can then setup an inbox rule in whatever program you use to filter this stuff on the subject line and put it into different folders as you see fit.

The important thing to note is that it's not being generated at the source, your web site. To confirm this, you cantry 2 things. First, you can go into smartermail and add [email protected]to your "whitelist". This essentially tells the SmarterMail decision process, "if you encounter email from this sender, don't mark it as spam, I know them". That should do it for you. The other option is to change your default spam filter settings. You'll override the defaults and for the "Low" category, you'll have to select "no action". But then that will apply to ALL messages you recieve which get categorized as Low.

This also means that you won't be able to affect users of your site. Their own email programs will filter it as they see fit. Your only option there is to proactively warn them, "you're going toget an email from [email protected]and it mayget filtered as junk mail.Be sure to add the address to yoursafe senders list." or however you want to word it.
    Good luck, Drew