Spam Filtering

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Bruce, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

We have been looking into spam filtering solution for a long time. We still do not have one is because NONE of them we found worked well. They either have a very high false positive rate (legit email treated as spam) or just let too many spam through. Spam filtering solutions are just getting increasingly ineffective as spammers are getting smarter.

- IP Blocking will no longer work
    - Content filtering rarely work because spammer make up work like VaGra which human can easily understand but machine will have a hard time.
    - Baysian filter is getting less effective because spammer starts to send out email with random words.

We have already implemented known spam source blocking (which cut down almost 70% of the spam).

The one solution that I recommend is Challenge / Reponse spam filtering from spamarrest. I've had my personal email address for over 8 years (and i was stupid enough to use it in newsgroup posting), i used to get 500 spams every day. I get at most 1 spam after I subscribed to spamarrest. Please check them out at http://spamarrest.com/

quote:Originally posted by m1234

You have one of the most feature rich, if not the most feature rich, web hosting service anywhere on the Internet. Except in one area and that is spam filtering for email (email being forwarded by settings in the Forward Manager from web domains).

If one has a web site hosted by discountasp.net ( say xyz.com ) then one probably has an account also with a domain service like Network Solutions. For one domain then, one might have an email address like registrar at xyz dot com on file with Network Solutions. While most web designers now know better than to put email addresses directly on web pages, the whois database fed by Network Solutions is mined for email addresses by spammers. Add to that the typical webmaster at xyz dot com, info at xyz dot com and postmaster at xyz dot com that might be aliases used on one web site. Compound all of that with the possibility that your users may have multiple web sites hosted at discountasp.net ? I have 10 so far.

I get anywhere from 20 to 100 spam emails daily just because I manage these web sites. The burden of dealing with all this junk mail is beginning to outweigh the benefits of all of your other services combined for me. While tools like charting components and task schedulers are useful, robust spam filtering would make them pale by comparison for many of your customers in my opinion.

</blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

B.

DiscountASP.NET
    http://www.DiscountASP.NET

2. You have one of the most feature rich, if not the most feature rich, web hosting service anywhere on the Internet. Except in one area and that is spam filtering for email (email being forwarded by settings in the Forward Manager from web domains).

If one has a web site hosted by discountasp.net ( say xyz.com ) then one probably has an account also with a domain service like Network Solutions. For one domain then, one might have an email address like registrar at xyz dot com on file with Network Solutions. While most web designers now know better than to put email addresses directly on web pages, the whois database fed by Network Solutions is mined for email addresses by spammers. Add to that the typical webmaster at xyz dot com, info at xyz dot com and postmaster at xyz dot com that might be aliases used on one web site. Compound all of that with the possibility that your users may have multiple web sites hosted at discountasp.net ? I have 10 so far.

I get anywhere from 20 to 100 spam emails daily just because I manage these web sites. The burden of dealing with all this junk mail is beginning to outweigh the benefits of all of your other services combined for me. While tools like charting components and task schedulers are useful, robust spam filtering would make them pale by comparison for many of your customers in my opinion.

3. What about A TMDA Plugin for SquirrelMail
    http://www.morison.net/squirrelmail-plugins/tmdatools.html

TMDA (Tagged Message Delivery Agent) can significantly reduce the amount of SPAM received through the use of whitelists, blacklists, tagged addresses and a challenge response mechanism. This plugin allows a TMDA enabled account to be managed from within the SquirrelMail interface, including the ability to edit list files, add control headers to outgoing email, manage pending messages and create tagged addresses for use outside SquirrelMail. The plugin can automatically detect a TMDA enabled account making it suitable for use in a multi-user environment in which not all accounts use TMDA.