spamlab

Discussion in 'Email' started by runningdogs, Nov 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. Anyone have info onspamlab and/or theirblacklisting DASP?

Thanks

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at mta01.internetmailserver.net.
    I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
    This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.
    addresshere:
    69.20.60.123 does not like recipient.
    Remote host said: 591addresshere your host [64.79.170.125] is
    blacklisted by rbl.spamlab.com. No mail will be accepted
    Giving up on 69.20.60.123.

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

yeah.. one of our server is listed by spamcop. we are working to resolve this.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. This seems to have happened a few times recently where DASP has been blacklisted. I'm curious now as to what you guys do to prevent spammers from using your services and therefore getting you blacklisted - thereby screwing over the rest of us who use your services for legitimate e-mail. It seems to me that any old yahoo could sign up for an account, throw their favorite super-duper-spamming-program(TM) on the server, and fire it up. Even if you have some software that sits around checking for blasts of e-mail, by the time it caught it you might be blacklisted already. Also, how would you figure out who is sending legitimate e-mail blasts (like newsletters that people actually subscribed to) versus spam?

Sounds like an almost impossible task. I'm just curious what kind of measures you guys have tried and how successful you think they are. I sure don't envy any of you guys... Gotta be tough to provide sucheasy-to-access services and still try to keep a lid on security.

4. mjp

mjp

Actually we are rarely blocked due to outgoing spam.

Usually the blocks are the result of email accounts that forward to places like AOL (many hosting companies do not allow their users to forward mail to AOL due to the problems caused by their user-based spam reporting system), or a mailbox that is full and starts to bounce mail. When those bounces are spam, we are often seen as the source of the problem, when we are not.

If one of those bounces is an email sent from a spamtrap address, we're automatically blacklisted. You wouldn't think that could happen often, but it does.

We react very quickly to the blocks though, both working through the blocking services, and in other network-based ways.

mjp
    DiscountASP.NET
    <SUB><SUP>http://DiscountASP.NET

5. It seems that dASP (and therefore my application) is blacklisted by Spamcop. Sending notification emails is an essential part of the workflow of my application. If you have to prevent users from forwarding to their AOL accounts to definitely do it! Does dASP offer any "clean" SMTP servers that I can use instead of this blacklisted one?

Reporting-MTA: dns;aspnetb1.discountasp.net
    Received-From-MTA: dns;web138.discountasp.net
    Arrival-Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:19:21 -0800
    Final-Recipient: rfc822;[email protected]
    Action: failed
    Diagnostic-Code: smtp;554 Service unavailable; Client host [64.209.135.7] blocked using bl.spamcop.net; Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?64.209.135.7
    Diagnostic-Code: smtp;554 Service unavailable; Client host [64.209.135.7] blocked using bl.spamcop.net; Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?64.209.135.7

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.