SQL 2005 and ASP.NET Starter Kit

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by Bryan, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Anyone have a clue why i keep getting this when trying use sql 2005 with my asp.net starter kit that works great locally?

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Please note im using SQL 2005 and not express. My connection string is as follows:

<add name="ClubSiteDB" connectionString="Data Source=sql2k501.discountasp.net;Initial Catalog=SQL2005_35649_objectwerx;User ID=???????;Password=?????"/>

After some research i found this and was wondering if it may not be setup correctly on the host side:
    https://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2005/10/22/483684.aspx

Thx

2. Has anyone at all gotten this solution to work ?

3. Try to explicitly connect using TCP.

Data Source=tcp:sql2k501.discountasp.net

4. Adding the TCP: to the front of my connection datasource fixed my problem. Thx Lukas

5. I am having the same problem:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

I create the PWS site locally and everything works great and then I publish site and whammo! I tried to modify the datasource using the data explorer. It connected, but same error when I published. I evenran the personal-add.sql to create the tables and stored procs for PWS.

I would like to use my SQL Server 2005 add-on as my data store for the Starter Kit samples. I get the same error for both Time Tracker and the PWS. What is the work around? More later.

6. Hi I'm planning to buya Hosting account at DiscountAsp.net, and I would like to know if it is possible to deploy DotNetNuke 4.0.2... Now, Medium Trust is not a problem because this version is optimized to work with it.

But I would like to know which trust level DiscountAsp.net servers work, and if it's possible to execute the aspnet_regsql.exe against the SQL Server 2005 without restrictions, to use Membership and the other stuff...

Today, I'm with GoDaddy but they started toblock ".dll" files in their Shared Hosting Servers, is like say... every one who wants full asp.net 2.0hosting... get an other company... And please tell me that DiscountAsp.net is not going to block ".dll" and Bin folder in the future...

Best Regards.

Juan Carlos.