SQL: Publish to Shared hosting provider using the Database Publishing Wizard/SSIS/DTS

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Bruce, May 23, 2008.

1. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

2. I am very happy with discountasp.net and have recommended to many.

Unfortunately the SQL hosting is lacking the ability to transfer data. It would be fantastic if discountasp.net offered the ability to
    publish to a shared hosting provider using the Database Publishing Wizard (review section 8 onwards of the following url)

http://products.secureserver.net/products/hosting/PublishingWithDPW.htm

Alternatively, one of the following would be great

SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
    Data Transformation Services (DTS)

I would like to know if discountasp.net are planning any of the above or offer any other service for data transfer.

Regards

Mark

3. Thanks Bruce,

I ideally wanted master slave sql replication to create a read only version of my data for my website.
    I will testa scheduledcommand line version of the data publishing wizard and post my findings

Mark

4. I really, still, think it's much easier with SQL Server.
    I've tested that tool and have done the exact same actions with the full version of SQL Server 2005 and the express version.
    You have to use tricks in the express version but I still find it pretty easy.

Is it just for the Membership/Roles you want to use this?
    Salute,
    Mark

5. When you say "easier with SQL Server", i'm assuming DTS for 2000 and SSIS for 2005?

The company i am working for has an SQL 2000 based MIS system that maintains their products etc.
    I am simply trying to create an online catalogue for phase 1 of the project.

I've been using the database publishing wizard (DPW) for the test environment butwillneed an automated approach for live.
    I've reviewed the following and have come to the following conclusions

DTS - Test tomorrow(thanks for tip, research looking promising)
    Command-line version ofDPW as a scheduled task- Depends on DASP support of Database Publishing Service
    SQL Replication - Subscriber not supported by DASP
    Or attempt to program something with web and windows services[​IMG]steep learning curve so last resort.

Or any thing else anyone can suggest.

Thanks for you help

Regards
    Mark

6. There are so many versions of SQL Server being used right now this does tend to be confusing.
    Depending on what is needed the actions are very different.
    Yes DTS when possible is very handy.
    For simple tasks I prefer two methods in the full versions of SQL Server:
    1) The Import/Export tasks.
    2) SQL windows. This was done with Query Analyzer in the past, before SQL Server 2005.

As an example of SQL tasks in any version of SQL Server look at some of the popular Forum packages.
    Most of them use scripts to code the entire Database system, quickly, including any needed default records.
    I don't like to use the SQL Express products but that is how they can do what the Data Publishing tool offers.

This is a good chat but please understand, there are volumes of books that are needed to describe these things.
    All the best,
    Mark

7. Thanks for your feedback

The only version of SQL that I'm interested in for this project is 2000 with the latest service packs.

The main requirement is thatthe process needs to be automated i.e. TheDASP database will need to be updated with data from my LAN every 2 hours, so, asking a user to manaully update the DASP SQL server is not an option.

I think testing DTS will be give me the answers i need

Regards
    Mark

8. Bruce

From what I understand, SQL Publishing wizard supports 2 modes

1) It generate a SQL script which you can execute against the destination server

2) It connects to the web service hosted on the remote server.

You can use option 1 with us only.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

9. Bruce

I chat w/ our DBA regarding the publishing wizard. The web service method is designed for hosting providers that do not allow you to connect to MS SQL directly from a remote location. In our case, you can connect directly.

I still think DTS is the best option because that's a "real" SQL feature; Publishing wizard is not a SQL feature but rather a open source project that MS supports.

If you really want to automate w/ publishing wizard, this is what I would do
    1. Schedule the publishing wizard to dump the database to a script
    2. Execute the script w/ sqlcmd against our server.

In addition, our DBA also told us that the publishing wizard is very slow!

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

10. I fully agree with the DBA expert bro. [​IMG]

11. Hi Bruce
    </o:p>
    I am trying to configure the Database Publishing Wizard provider. I need to supply a secure Web Service Address for the provider to work.
    I can?t find the address in my control panel, Can you provide this?
    Regards
    Mark

12. Thank you for explaining the differences/purposes of the database publishing wizard and DTS.</o:p>
    I can now drop the DPW as an option and head down the DTS route</o:p>
    Thanks to both of you for your help and please pass on my thanks to your DBA