SQL Reporting Service

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by shimon, Jul 18, 2004.

1. I just wanted to know if DiscountASP.NET would consider to provide SQL Server Reporting services. I asked before amount some kind of reporting engine and specifically Crystal Reports. I got the answer that the licensing for the solution didn't allow DiscountASP.NET to provide it to its customers.
    SQL Server Reporting Services needs the same licensing as SQL Server, so licensing should not be a problem.
    What do you think about it?
    Shimon.

2. Takeshi Eto

Takeshi Eto DiscountASP.NET Staff

Thanks for the suggestion. Will forward this to our Product Manager.

3. Absolutely. SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services is a MUST HAVE for those of us with SQL Server accounts. We're doing tons of work that is absolutely unnecessary if we had RS available and since it is now an included part of SQL Server's license, we really should have access to it.

quote:Originally posted by shimon

I just wanted to know if DiscountASP.NET would consider to provide SQL Server Reporting services. I asked before amount some kind of reporting engine and specifically Crystal Reports. I got the answer that the licensing for the solution didn't allow DiscountASP.NET to provide it to its customers.
    SQL Server Reporting Services needs the same licensing as SQL Server, so licensing should not be a problem.
    What do you think about it?
    Shimon.

</blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

4. Takeshi Eto

5. Great. But the real question is whether the Product Manager will comment back to us.

quote:Originally posted by dasp

Thanks for your comments and they have been forwarded to our Product Manager.

DiscountASP.NET
    http://www.DiscountASP.NET

6. Takeshi Eto

The Product Manager manages all the different feature requests that come in via email, forum, and surveys and weighs the demand, costs, and development complexities, in house resources to determine the product pipeline. SQL reporting service is on our list of technologies under evaluation. There is no timeframe or guarantees at this time.

DiscountASP.NET

7. Right. What I'm asking for is to be kept up-to-date on those decisions. After all, the first request for this technology on this forum were roughly two months ago and we heard nothing either way. I, personally, sent it in as a request via e-mail several months ago and also heard nothing. In the meantime, we're spending lots of dev money on alternatives. Reinventing the wheel is a bad use of our time and money.

The Product Manager manages all the different feature requests that come in via email, forum, and surveys and weighs the demand, costs, and development complexities, in house resources to determine the product pipeline. SQL reporting service is on our list of technologies under evaluation. There is no timeframe or guarantees at this time.

DiscountASP.NET

8. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Mike,

Please understand that it takes time to delivery major offerings like Reporting services.

1) We take time to fully understand the technology before we offer it. For example, we can just easily install RS and make it a standard offering without considering whether it is secure or not.

2) We want to make sure our staff are fully trained on a product before we offer it.

3) For almost every product we offer, we automate all provisioning. We believe automatation is the key to offer webhosting in a large scale. Automation saves times and reduces error.

4) We also have other priorities, eg. Yukon, ASP.net 2.0, etc..

quote:Originally posted by MikeGalos

Right. What I'm asking for is to be kept up-to-date on those decisions. After all, the first request for this technology on this forum were roughly two months ago and we heard nothing either way. I, personally, sent it in as a request via e-mail several months ago and also heard nothing. In the meantime, we're spending lots of dev money on alternatives. Reinventing the wheel is a bad use of our time and money.

DiscountASP.NET

B.

DiscountASP.NET

9. I absolutely understand and, you'll note, that I'm not asking for an immediate rollout just sharing some plans and comittments with us so we can do our own business planning.

Note also, though, that RS has been released for quite a few months now and is a part of the SQL Server license. This isn't the case of implementing a beta or pre-beta product like your examples. This is the question of whether you're going to support a released feature of SQL Server that's not only released but already on its 1.1 version.

I'd also point out that training for RS has been available for a long time. The BI Roadshow on RS was last December and Microsoft Learning has been offering course 2030 on RS since the Spring.

As for automating provisioning, note that RS is implemented as a Windows Service and all administration features are both fully scriptable through RS.EXE and fully remotable via the RS web service. In fact, ReportManager, the UI for managing RS, is just an ASP.NET application that speaks to the reporting engine via XML web services. You couldn't ask for a more managable tool.

quote:Originally posted by bruce

Mike,

Please understand that it takes time to delivery major offerings like Reporting services.

1) We take time to fully understand the technology before we offer it. For example, we can just easily install RS and make it a standard offering without considering whether it is secure or not.

2) We want to make sure our staff are fully trained on a product before we offer it.

3) For almost every product we offer, we automate all provisioning. We believe automatation is the key to offer webhosting in a large scale. Automation saves times and reduces error.

4) We also have other priorities, eg. Yukon, ASP.net 2.0, etc..

quote:Originally posted by MikeGalos

Right. What I'm asking for is to be kept up-to-date on those decisions. After all, the first request for this technology on this forum were roughly two months ago and we heard nothing either way. I, personally, sent it in as a request via e-mail several months ago and also heard nothing. In the meantime, we're spending lots of dev money on alternatives. Reinventing the wheel is a bad use of our time and money.

DiscountASP.NET

B.

DiscountASP.NET

10. Another month has gone by and we still don't have any sharing of plans and comittments with us so we can do our own business planning.

Please, guys, this is really important to some of us.

11. Bruce

12. Fantastic. Now, one question...

Is this Standard Edition or Enterprise Edition? It depends on the license structure discountasp.net has with Microsoft.

(The big difference is that Enterprise Edition allows data-driven scheduled reporting)

13. Bruce