SQL Server 2005 Express Beta 2

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by splanck, Apr 19, 2005.

1. I noticed that the user authentication in beta 2 uses SQL Server Express 2005 Beta 2 in order to store user information. Are there plans to make SQL Express beta 2 available on the test server? I think it would make a very nice addition to the service. /emoticons/smile.gif

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

no immediate plan until MS release SQL 2005 beta.

SQL Express is not designed to be used in a server environment but rather a desktop database engine.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. I second the motion! I'm so excited you are offering ASP.NET 2.0! I really need the ability to connect to SQL Server 2005 tho. I've been testing with .NET 2 locally on a test server here for awhile and my applications rely on SQL Server 2005 access.

What is to stop you from installing SQL2005 Express on a server? I have it installed on a test server (Win2k Server OS) and it performs fine. It is missing EM, full-text search, etc but is still a very good DB app.

4. On my home machine, I was able to configure the Membership and Role Manager Providers to point at an existing SQL Server 2000 database. The necessary database objects (tables, views. etc) were automatically added to my database and the Login controls worked fine. I am planning to take the same approach with my SQL Server 2000 database at discountasp.

Since SQL Server Express is the intended replacement for MSDE and is aimed at developers and small web sites, I don't understand why SQL Server Express would not be supported as an alternative to SQL Server 2005. Perhaps discountasp can clarify its plans in this regard.

5. I have the same issue. If I try to connect to the aspnetdb in my App_data folder or I go right tot he sql200 server providedI get crapped on. I do not want to develope a site and skip the login security. I dont see much use for the beta site without the ability to use the great login controls in VWD 2005. Please hurry and get something going that will support the login controls and SQL [​IMG]

6. Takeshi Eto

Takeshi Eto DiscountASP.NET Staff

We are doing what we can to push Microsoft to introduce a golive license for SQL 2005. You can also visit the asp.net forums and get your voice heard too on this topic.

DiscountASP.NET

7. So I guess anthing that involves a SQL server connection is a NO-GO from my Web.Config or any other page on my on my Beta sight? Is this a Fact???[​IMG]

8. Takeshi Eto

You can connect to an existing SQL 2000 database, if you have the SQLaddon for your account.

DiscountASP.NET
    http://www.DiscountASP.NET

9. Takeshi Eto

SQL 2005 Express is a personal database and a replacement for MSDE. Both will not function in a shared hosting environment.

DiscountASP.NET
    http://www.DiscountASP.NET

10. However if the Login object in 2.0 requires SQl Express doesnt that say something??? Even though my login object needs only to connect to my SQl addondatabase for the authorizationand at that doesnt need to create the databse just access the one there,we needSQl Expess in place just to allow the loginobjec to Work!![​IMG]

11. One more note, maybe I need to alter my web.config to allow the login to work from my addon here is my web.config, am I doing soemthing wrong?

<configuration xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0">

<connectionStrings>

<add name="DB_146070ConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=mssql05.discountasp.net;Initial Catalog=DB_146070;User ID=easyrealtya;Password=?????????"

providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

<add name="DB_146070ConnectionString2" connectionString="Data Source=mssql05.discountasp.net;Initial Catalog=DB_146070;User ID=easyrealtya;Password=????????"

providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

</connectionStrings>

<system.web>

<customErrors mode="Off"/>

<authentication mode="Forms">

</authentication>

<membership defaultProvider="DB_146070ConnectionString2" >

<providers>

<add name="DB_146070ConnectionString2" type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider" connectionStringName="DB_146070ConnectionString2" applicationName="MyApplication" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="true" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="true" requiresUniqueEmail="true" passwordFormat="Hashed"/>

</providers>

</membership>

</system.web>

</configuration>

The login will use the membership defaultprovider right?

If I swap my local sql server name for the beta name and run it here it is fine?

On the beta it errors

go to http://beta-146070.server1.dotnetsandbox.net/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fDefault.aspx

The object below the login sees my addon server and the aspuser table just fine with the connection string

12. I don't have the SQL 2000 addon for my main DASP account (don't need it normally and can't justify the additional $10/month). BUT, I do need SQL Express 2005 access for my .NET 2.0 testing. Your .NET 2.0 Test Account offering is wonderful (you are the only host I know of that offers it!). It would just be so much more useful if SQL 2005 Express were available -- at least for me it is essential.

From this thread alone, it looks like there is more than enough interest. Why can't/won't you offer it?Worried about security? Can it not handle multiple users? I don't know a lot about it for a shared-hosting enviornment, so can you explain? It runs great on my personal server, and I currently know of no technical issue to prevent you from installing it on the test servers...

13. They remarked about a Go-Live License was needed. They are a business and do have to follow the law. However I would think that knowing the great ease of use with the Login objects that allow one to go end around about 250 lines of code they had to see the draw would be there?????????