Staging environment

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by braulio, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Hello,

For developing I'm working with cassini or in the best case just IIS and XP, when going into production (2003 server, ways in which a server handles users and sessions...) sometimes I face issues that are quite hard to resolve (no lab to repduce it).

Could it be possible to get an staging environment, something like azure does: ugly URL, password protected, with a very limited machine (just to test before crashing the site :)).

Thanks
    Braulio

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

no sorry.. we don't provide staging env.

most application should work fine on our server if it works on IIS on XP. I don't recommend cassini though.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. I've mentioned this before, but I think it would be really cool if DASP supplied a virtual server image (.vhd) of a server set up exactly like one of their shared servers. If it had all of the same .NET setup, service restrictions, etc. that a live server has, we'd be certain we weren't using some kind of feature that isn't supported before we upload it.

I remember when I used some of the transactional stuff in .NET 2.0 and was unpleasantly surprised when I uploaded it and it didn't work. My fault for not doing my homework first, but it would be nice to have my very own virtual staging server to be more certain of those things.

Virtual SQL Server setups would be cool too.

Of course, I'm not certain what the licensing restrictions would be on that sort of thing since you'd essentially be packaging up OS and server products for download by customers...

4. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

JD,

We consider how we setup the server as proprietary information and it is unlikely that we will make it available.

In addition, server setting changes frequently (new service pack, software upgrade, etc.), it is virtually impossible for us to mimic the exact environment.