Stats question

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by cryowizard, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Hello all!

I have a quick question regarding the /stats feature. The report produced there is nice. However, I'd also like to see exactly who hit what pages, i.e. DNS/IP of the incoming connection and date/time of the hit. As of now I had to put in some logging logic into the index.aspx of my site but that only covers that one page. So the question is: is it possible to provide the DNS/IP hit info on the /stats page?

Best regards
    DM

2. I'll echo the same question with an additional piece of info. My last host also used analog, but there was a config file that I could modify to produce more customized reports including information like that cryowizard metnioned. Is there anything like this on the horizon here?

3. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Having reverse DNS lookup on the stats report is technically doable, we are omitting this because it drastically decrease the performance if this feature is enabled.

We are now working on providing user with Raw Log access, we recommend customers to run that own stats program if they need reverse DNS lookup.

In addition, we are also evaluating several other stats packages that does realtime statistic report.

quote:Originally posted by dev_grrl

I'll echo the same question with an additional piece of info. My last host also used analog, but there was a config file that I could modify to produce more customized reports including information like that cryowizard metnioned. Is there anything like this on the horizon here?
    </blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

4. I expected you to reply with the performance issue. [;)] Having administered stats myself, I'll concede that allowing users to enable such features as reverse DNS lookup, etc. is a real performance hog. However, if you'll provide raw logs, I'll be more then happy to whip up a little tool to pull my logs down, crank through them, and re-post some static stats. My machine has spare cycles that I can waste [:D]

5. Bruce

Thank you for your understanding.

We are currently working on such feature. We should be able to provide raw log (in zip format) in the next month or so.

quote:Originally posted by dev_grrl

I expected you to reply with the performance issue. [;)] Having administered stats myself, I'll concede that allowing users to enable such features as reverse DNS lookup, etc. is a real performance hog. However, if you'll provide raw logs, I'll be more then happy to whip up a little tool to pull my logs down, crank through them, and re-post some static stats. My machine has spare cycles that I can waste [:D]

6. Sweet! You guys rule!

7. This is great, I really look forward to having access to the raw log files [:)] thanks

8. Has access to raw log-files been enabled now? If so, can I get regular access to them, or do I raise a support ticket to get hold of them.

Regards,
    Trevor Andrew

9. Bruce

Trevor,

Not yet. We should have this feature ready in about 3 wks.

quote:Originally posted by tandrew

Has access to raw log-files been enabled now? If so, can I get regular access to them, or do I raise a support ticket to get hold of them.

Regards,
    Trevor Andrew

10. Any chance we will get raw stats or a better web based stats system? The lack of a good stats system is probably the only weak spot in your hosting. Everything else has been wonderful. Get the stats worked out and I would move all my clients over to you!

quote:Originally posted by bruce

Trevor,

Has access to raw log-files been enabled now? If so, can I get regular access to them, or do I raise a support ticket to get hold of them.

Regards,
    Trevor Andrew

11. Hi Bruce!

Any word on the statistics upgrade? I really-really need to know who's hitting the site...please let us know when we can realistically expect stats/raw log access...

Thanx a bunch!

Trevor,

Regards,
    Trevor Andrew

12. Bruce

i am not in charge of that project, but i'll check up on that for you.

quote:Originally posted by cryowizard

Hi Bruce!

Any word on the statistics upgrade? I really-really need to know who's hitting the site...please let us know when we can realistically expect stats/raw log access...

Thanx a bunch!

Trevor,

Regards,
    Trevor Andrew

13. Any news about the Raw Log's being made available.
    I see this had been going on for some time, and I really need this data.

14. Bruce

Couple more weeks.

Thanks...

[:D]
    quote:Originally posted by terry

Any news about the Raw Log's being made available.
    I see this had been going on for some time, and I really need this data.

15. Takeshi Eto

Takeshi Eto DiscountASP.NET Staff

Raw log files are now available.

DiscountASP.NET