Subdomain and SSL

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by Chano, Nov 13, 2009.

1. My domain is registered through godaddy, and hosted here. I want billing.mysite.com to be secured through ssl. I have already purchased the ssl addon and certificate. I have also installed the cert in the discountASP controlpanel. Yet when i go to billing.mysite.com it just puts me on the homepage.

I setup the subdomain with godaddy, figured this was right since that who has the domain itself. Within that i told the subdomain billing.mysite.com to point to mysite.com/billing....

Its not working. What do i do?

Chan

2. mjp

mjp

I would guess that your DNS at GoDaddy is incorrect. Are you using an A record or a CNAME? If you are pointing to a subdirectory you should use CNAME.

3. They are telling me that i would have to make the CNAME with you guys. They say all subdomain stuff should be setup with whoever is providing hosting.

4. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

huh.. you lost me completely.

Do you want us to host billing.yoursite.com? or is it supposed to point to GoDaddy?

What about yoursite.com? Are we hosting that or Godaddy?

What is your domain name? let me do some nslookup.

5. All i used godaddy for was to register the domain name, and create the ssl cert. Yall host the site.

You guys already host smallerpowerbill.com. All i am trying to accomplish is to create billing.smallerpowerbill.com so that i dont have to secure the entire domain. I want billing.smallerpowerbill.com to point to the billing folder inside the root directory. This way i secure the billing folder only. I would like billing.smallerpowerbill.com to direct traffic to www.smallerpowerbill.com/billing where i will have www.smallerpowerbill.com/billing/order.aspx

When i installed the ssl certificate i put the common name as billing.smallerpowerbill.com already. Please look at my account and see what i need to accomplish.

6. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Let me try explain in more detail.

When you enable SSL, you can access any part of your site via HTTPS. It will NOT, however, automatically redirect the URL to a folder.

You'll have to programatically redirect it.