subdomain HACK

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by salowe, Jun 20, 2008.

1. I sincerely hope that I have misunderstood something. I have read all of the KB articles (all 1 of them) and forum posts (about 50 of them) regarding subdomains, and am extremely dissatisfied with the apparent solution. This is disappointing, because (a) everything else about discountasp.net seems to be top-notch, (b) others have suggested a more straightforward/standard solution with no action, and (c) the work-around is a potential maintenance nightmare.

Here's the situation: I have a (secure) subdomain as a separate web application in a subdirectory. My regular web site redirects to specific pages in the subdomain for certain tasks. I implemented the generic redirect in the default page as per the kb article, and of course it doesn't work if the url is for a specific page. So in order to get this to work, I had to create a facade web page in the main site for each page in the secure site and programmatically redirect to the subdomain. This makes the url in the browser appear as subdomain.mysite.com/subdomain/pagename.aspx, which looks terrible but does work.

Every time I add a page to the subdomain I have to add a facade/redirect page to the main site, thus creating a maintenance problem in the long term. In addition, to get the urls to look right, i apparently have to engage in url rewriting, which is not something i want to do at this point.

On other hosting services I could just make an entry in the control panel that said subdomain.mysite.com maps to /subdomain directory, and everything just worked.

(1) why is this obvious, common, simple solution not supported by discountasp.net despite several forum requests for it?

(2) Please tell me i have overlooked some simpler solution!

Thanks!

--S

2. A DiscountASP account can only have one IIS site. To pull this off in IIS, I think you would need a separate site for the subdomain, whichthenbecomesa logistical nightmare because the two sites share a common folder.I can think of one problem off the top of my head, which is conflicting FrontPage extensions for example.

A solution is tosign up the subdomain as a separate hosting account (transfer). So it can have it's own isolated root path.

Aristotle

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET