system.web.services.protocols.soapexception error

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by tutorusa, May 24, 2007.

1. I hope this is the correct forum to ask this question.

I have been using a live chat application from cutesoft.net for the past 5 months. I am receiving an error that first appears 3 months ago. At that time, I contacted both cutesoft and discount asp's tech support and neither was sure what the problem was. Cutesoft claimed it must be a host problem. Discount ASP support suggested I try the forums. Fortunately, the problem mysteriously disappeared and everything has worked fine since then... until today.

Here is the error I am receiving. I receive this when I try to log in to the chat software.

system.web.services.protocols.soapexception: server was unable to process request --> system.nullreferenceexception: object reference not set to an instance of an object.

More details on this error are below.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. This is a big blow to my site having this down.

Here's the site if needed: http://www.tutor-usa.com

--
    See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at CuteSoft.Chat.ChatDataManager.c(String A_0)
    at CuteSoft.Chat.ChatDataManager.GetUser(String uniquename)
    at CuteSoft.Chat.ChatApiImpl.DoFindOperator(String useruniquename)
    at CuteSoft.Chat.ChatApiImpl.FindOperator(String useruniquename)
    at LiveSupportWeb.Global.SupportLogin(String username, String password) in C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\LiveSupportWeb\LiveSupportWeb\Global.asax.cs:line 91
    at CuteSoft.Chat.ChatWebService.SupportLogin(String username, String password)
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
    at CuteSoft.Chat.WinClient.ChatWebService.SupportLogin(String username, String password)
    at LiveSupport.LoginForm.button1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    LiveSupport
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/CuteSoft/LiveSupport/LiveSupport.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
    CuteSoft.Chat.WinClient
    Assembly Version: 3.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/CuteSoft/LiveSupport/CuteSoft.Chat.WinClient.DLL
    System.Web.Services
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Web.Services/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Web.Services.dll
    System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    oxyhtatl
    Assembly Version: 3.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    XPCommonControls
    Assembly Version: 3.0.2.902
    Win32 Version: 3.0.2.902
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/CuteSoft/LiveSupport/XPCommonControls.DLL
    Microsoft.mshtml
    Assembly Version: 7.0.3300.0
    Win32 Version: 7.0.3300.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.mshtml/7.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.mshtml.dll
    NetSpell.SpellChecker
    Assembly Version: 2.1.7.41329
    Win32 Version: 2.1.7.41329
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/CuteSoft/LiveSupport/NetSpell.SpellChecker.DLL
    Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
    System.Data
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging='true' />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

2. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions on this error?

3. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

This is a very generic error you are seeing. It usually means that the application is trying to access something that is null.

Why does the developer think it is a server issue?

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

4. Here's the exchange I had with the developer a couple months ago:

Me to developer:
    'I really hope you can provide some immediate assistance. I just purchased your live support product less than a month ago. Today I am receiving an error that will not allow me to sign into the operator client. I did nothing to provoke this error that I know of. The app was working this morning, I restarted the computer, and I'm now getting this error.

Can you provide support please?...'

His Response:
    'It appears that your web server down or for some reason you have lost access to your server? Can you confirm this?'

It was at this point I contacted Discount ASP's tech support and I was informed 'that the server you account is on is fully operational and to the best of my knowledge has not experienced and disruptions' and they suggested I try the forums. In the time I responded to the developer with this response, the error message disappeared and application was working fine again.

Me to developer: 'Error is now gone - application is working. It's still a concern because I have no idea what caused the error or what the solution was.'

His response: 'Can you tell me what changes you made or your host made?'

Me: 'No changes at all... :-/

My host did respond with this - 'I have confirmed that the server you account is on is fully operational and to the best of my knowledge has not experienced and disruptions.' but as far as I know they didn't do anything. I didn't do anything but keep trying it on my end.'

Him: 'It?s impossible and it?s so strange. There must be some changes that are not aware by you and me.'

And that was the exchange.

The application is actually working today sporadically. Sometimes it gives me the error, sometimes it doesn't.

I'm not exactly an expert on this stuff by any means, so I'm really at a loss here.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

5. This error could be caused by your web site app recycling. If the chat software depends on session data stored in memory then those would be cleared after a recycle. You could try storing sessions in SQL.

Aristotle

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET