The XMLProvider Is The Best Than SQLProvider

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by falah gate, Jan 25, 2008.

1. I think The XMLProvider Is The Best Than SQLProvider
    How ??

I saw all the web applications now especially Starts kits applications are based on XMLprovider.

Because the full text search functionality in this provider is very faster than SQLProvider Engine.
    and XMLProvider doesn't need it any data source as server like web application based SQL Server needed SQL Server as data source and target it is the bidirectional database.
    While XML Provider doesn't need any external server .the data source and target are save and read write in APP_Datae folder under application after has read and write access permission.
    There are more different between full text search engine in XMLProvider and sql provider
    has different that all rolemanager and memberships methods are built-in with XMLProvider
    you can see it in APP_DATA Folder under web application (role.config file ) and (user.config file) they are built-in through the application processing from XMLProvider Engine.
    But in SQLProvider are found with the SQL Server functions as (DDL+DML Statements) with T-SQL Query Script ?.Try to compare between web.config for different web applications one base with SQL Server Provider and another base with XML Provider
    You will see no< connectionstrings> element with xml because XMLProvider is working as built-in server with application Under (APP_Data ) folder it has full permission access
    While in application base SQL there is element to access external server
    ( we know connections parameters ) it is out of ASP.NET Engine..
    As web applications developers we need high performance to our web site for high speed loading beside the high web site hosting 's hardware technologies we need the application dose not depended on another external server we need built-in server with it ?..
    So I think the XMLProvider is best than SQLProvider
    That's my personal opinion ??.
    Anyone has different opinion? Please tell me

Thanks
    Falah Gate
    Sorry about my English language
    </o:p>

2. Thanks Bruce For reply

you are right...

butI have data source with sql server 2005 and application about Search Engine for these data
    and i campare with the same that data source but in XML Data source i founded the
    SearchEngine (full text in Conetents ) is faster thanSearch Engine base SQL Databasewithall data size .
    so i think XMLSearchEngine (full text contents) is faster than SQL Search Engine.....

Thanks
    Falah G.S

3. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

It all depends on your need. XML is probably going to be faster if the data size is relatively small.

MS SQL gives you something that XML can't provide

1) Transaction support.
    2) Stored Procedures / Views
    3) Functions
    4) Remote connectivity
    5) ability to have multiple clients connect to the DB
    6) etc. etc....

If you don't need the specific SQL features and have a small data set, you can certainly go w/ a xml data provider.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

4. Bruce

Try a 1G xml file then you will notice the performance difference

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

5. Bruce

BTW, don't try that on our server, you'll kill your site process because of memory usage.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

6. Thanks Bruce,

You are right
    I tested big xml file size than 1G byte on my local sever has 1 G byte memory
    The server was halted and difficult in processing remain xml data.
    But can we using Splitting technique for big xml size to repair this problem ?
    And using the continues processing technique for it ?
    Thanks
    Falah G.S

7. I would rather use a SQL database ,if your data is that big.Your memory usage shouldn't exceed 100 MB on DASP servers.How are planning to split anyways?The process has to load the file in memory for any kind of processing over it.

Vikram

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET