Tranferring Files Time Out (FileZilla vs. ws_ftp)

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by gschulze, Feb 7, 2009.

1. I am brand new to DASP and have never uploaded a site before. I created a very simple site with a single page with an small logo on it. The entire site is probably less than 1 meg. I've tried to upload the site to DASP using the "Copy Web Site" funtion in Visual Web Developer 2008 Express and using a third party FTP program, FileZilla.

I can connect to the site without a problem, but when I try to transfer the files (even a single file), it times out. The name of the file appears on the site for a short time, but it is 0 bytes and eventually dissappears.

Does anybody know what I may be doing wrong?

Thank you.

- GS

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

I recommend you create a support ticket if you have not already done so.

3. Thanks, Bruce.

I would like to open a ticket, but I need to authenticate first. I press the button to have the email sent to me, but I never get anything, I even changed the email addreess in the CP and use web mail to see if I received it. But I received nothing. I'm in a jam now. How do I report the timeout issue if I can't access the support portal?

Thanks,

Gene

4. Never mind, Bruce. I just received the emails. Thanks.

5. I was never able to get past the timeout problem with FileZilla. I switched to WS_FTP from Ipswitch and everything is now working fine.

- Gene

6. Bruce

weird!!

7. I just experienced the same issue after creating a brand new account. I was also using FileZilla and experienced timeouts. I switched to WS_FTP and everything worked. Seems like there is something in the FTP configuration that FileZilla doesn't like.

8. You may want to check with the property settings of FileZilla. I believe for FileZilla the default server timeout setting is 30 seconds. You may want to try increasing it to 60 or 90.

9. I've also get this problem.

I use "Copy Web Site" from Visual Studio. I've got approx 15 files, and every time I copy, several of them end up on the server with "0 bytes".

I keep CuteFTP open on the site, and hand copy the "0 byte" files from my computer.

So I actually use both "Copy Web Site", and CuteFTP, because "Copy Web Site" is better at tracking what's changed locally.

It's all a bit of a pain (especially before I realised what was happening), but at least it's working :)

10. Bruce

most of the time, this is related to firewall / antivirus installed on the computer.

1) try disable AV
    2) try bypass any DSL/Cable router and plug the connection directly to the computer.

If this fixes the FTP problem, you can configure these software / hardware to allow FTP.