Trying to connect using FTPES with FileZilla

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by JohnThompson, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Hi. I am also trying to connect using FTPES with FileZilla. I can connect okay with basic FTP, but if I following the instructions in knowledge base article 318 and set "Server Type" to "FTPES – FTP over explicit TLS/SSL" for my connection I get the following error:-

Command: PWD
    Response: 257 "/" is current directory.
    Command: TYPE I
    Response: 200 Type set to I.
    Command: PASV
    Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (89,187,102,211,217,16).
    Command: LIST
    Response: 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection.
    Error: Connection timed out
    Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

I admit that I did get a message about DiscountASPs certificate. I thought I clicked to continue, but I cannot get the message to display again, even looking in FileZilla settings.

Anyone got any suggestions.

John Thompson

P.S.

The knowledge base articles 10570 and 10577 don't work for me either. In the knowledge base search they don't exist and following the links above they show the browser error:-

Server Error in '/' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The resource cannot be found.
    Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /article.aspx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3074; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3074

2. All is well that ends well

Well, it didn't work, but I just downloaded the latest version of FileZilla and all of a sudden the connection settings that didn't work, now work.

They must have slipped a bug in after the knowledge base articles were written, that is now fixed in version 3.2.7.1. :)

I just hope it is actually using SSL, because I don't know how to check. :confused:

3. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

if you are connected over SSL, you should see something like this in the log

Command: AUTH TLS
    Response: 234 AUTH command ok. Expecting TLS Negotiation.
    Command: USER xxxxxx