Trying to set up my email on mu I Phone

Discussion in 'Email' started by gabetavarez, Feb 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. What is IMAP and POP?

It is asking me for a incoming mail server and requires a host name, username and password

It is also asking me for outgoing mail server and requires a host name, username and password

Help

2. The hostname is basically the URL that you use to send/receive email. for the most part, it should be something like:

POP3: pop3.DOMAIN.COM
    IMAP: imap.DOMAIN.COM
    SMTP: smtp.DOMAIN.COM

The username will be the full email address name ([email protected]) and the password will be the one you set up for your email account user.

Pop3 downloads mail to your email client, which then deletes it from the email server. This has it's up and downs, as it'll keep your mail in your local computer, which makes it faster to view, but there won't be a copy on the server, so you have to rely on your local copy of the mail.

IMAP basically reads the mail from the server every time you click on an email, which of course keeps the email in your server, but it can be rather slow, as it has to read email from t he server every time you need to look at it.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.